Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Are you spoiled?

I don't have the time or spare brain power for a real post today, so here's a relatively quick and mindless meme.

As seen at Collecting My Thoughts. I score 32, but I consider myself pretty spoiled--or at least very blessed.

Go through the list. Tick everything you have or have done. If you can tick 40 or more, you're spoiled.

###################

X ☑ your own cell phone
☐ a television in your bedroom
☐ an iPod
☐ a photo printer
☐ your own phone line
☐ TiVo or a generic digital video recorder
X ☑ high-speed internet access (i.e., not dialup)
☐ a surround sound system in bedroom
☐ DVD player in bedroom
☐ at least a hundred DVDs
X ☑ a childfree bathroom (Mostly)
X ☑ your own in-house office (I share it with DH)
X ☐ a pool (It's a plastic kiddie pool, but it helps us stay cool in the summer)
☐ a guest house
☐ a game room
X ☑ a queen-size bed (we actually have two of these, although the one in Baby E's room belongs to my parents)
☑ a stocked bar
X ☑ a working dishwasher
X ☐ an icemaker
X ☐ a working washer and dryer
☐ more than 20 pairs of shoes
☐ at least ten things from a designer store (what's a designer store? I might have 10 things from the Hanna Andersson outlet)
☐ expensive sunglasses
X ☐ framed original art (not lithographs or prints) (We have a pencil portrait of DH and me on our wedding day, drawn by my sister-in-law as a wedding gift)
☐ Egyptian cotton sheets or towels
☑ a multi-speed bike
☑ a gym membership
X ☑ large exercise equipment at home (I think we have some kind of rowing machine or something buried in the garage)
☐ your own set of golf clubs
☐ a pool table
☐ a tennis court
X ☐ local access to a lake, large pond, or the sea (lots of water within an hour's drive of here)
☑ your own pair of skis
☑ enough camping gear for a weekend trip in an isolated area
☐ a boat
☐ a jet ski
☐ a neighborhood committee membership
☐ a beach house or a vacation house/cabin
X ☐ wealthy family members
X ☐ two or more family cars
X ☐ a walk-in closet or pantry (both)
X ☐ a yard
☑ a hammock
☐ a personal trainer
X ☑ good credit
X ☐ expensive jewelry (My wedding ring could be considered expensive jewelry, I think--at least for us. :) )
☐ a designer bag that required being on a waiting list to get
☑ at least $100 cash in your possession right now
☐ more than two credit cards bearing your name (not counting gas cards or debit cards)
X ☑ a stock portfolio (small, but we do have a few shares of mutual funds)
X ☑ a passport
☐ a horse
☐ a trust fund (either for you or created by you)
X ☐ private medical insurance
☑ a college degree, and no outstanding student loans

Do you:

☐ shop for non-needed items for yourself (like clothes, jewelry, electronics) at least once a week
☐ do your regular grocery shopping at high-end or specialty stores
X ☐ pay someone else to clean your house, do dishes, or launder your clothes (not counting dry-cleaning) (if hiring a teenager for a few hours every now and then counts)
X ☐ go on weekend mini-vacations
☐ send dinners back with every flaw
☐ wear perfume or cologne (not body spray)
☐ regularly get your hair styled or nails done in a salon
☐ have a job but don't need the money OR
X ☐ stay at home with little financial sacrifice (we certainly don't miss any meals)
☐ pay someone else to cook your meals
X ☐ pay someone else to watch your children or walk your dogs (the occasional babysitter)
☐ regularly pay someone else to drive you
☐ expect a gift after you fight with your partner

Are you:

☐ an only child
☐ married/partnered to a wealthy person
☐ baffled/surprised when you don't get your way

Have you:

☐ been on a cruise
X ☑ traveled out of the country
☑ met a celebrity
☐ been to the Caribbean
☑ been to Europe
☑ BEEN TO HONG KONG
☐ been to Hawaii
☐ been to New York
☐ eaten at the space needle in Seattle (I've never eaten there, but I've climbed it)
☐ been to the Mall of America
☐ been on the Eiffel tower in Paris
☐ been on the Statue of Liberty in New York
☐ moved more than three times because you wanted to
☑ dined with local political figures
X ☑ been to both the Atlantic coast and the Pacific coast

Did you:

X ☐ go to another country for your honeymoon (We honeymooned at a B & B in Port Angeles, but we took a ferry across the border to Canada for a few hours one day)
X ☐ hire a professional photographer for your wedding or party
X ☐ take riding or swimming lessons as a child
X ☐ attend private school (homeschool)
X ☐ have a Sweet 16 birthday party thrown for you (I had friends over for a fancy tea at our home--or was that my 18th? I can't remember at the moment)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! That was a neat/timely post - I scored a 38. Was just thinking today how spoiled I was to grow up in a big house. My opinion is that Americans are spoiled brats in general though! LOL! How can we raise our kids to appreciate in this culture... uh, with a mom who just hit the thrift store and brought home yet mooooorrrre toys. (DH doesn't know yet... oops, he's looking over my shoulder!!) Hey, I found a large kitchen for $15! ;-) Colleen

2:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I scored as spoiled, though I wouldn't use those words to describe myself, I'm appreciative.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

This is a weird one. I'm not sure I'd agree that living near water (uh, pretty much the entire Northeast) or being an only child is a mark of privilege.

I had my birthday dinner at an Italian restaurant in Port Angeles while we were on our honeymoon. We didn't stay in town, though.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Wow. Look what you made me do!

http://dani3boyz.blogspot.com/

7:09 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I scored as spoiled. I kinda disagree with the swimming lessons...that seems to be just good safety sense.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

I tried that one too. I knew I was "blessed" (as you put it); but I didn't expect to score 33!

Thanks for coming by my blog!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Becci said...

I am pretty sure I am spoiled. If you haven't checked my blog recently, you're it! I tagged you! Hope you guys are doing well. We should get together again sometime. Maybe we could come up there and I could park my tush on the couch?

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi pk, hope everything is okay! "post, post, post!" :-) ;-) :-) will send a little prayer your way, Colleen

2:56 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Colleen, we have 3 or 4 toy kitchens of various types and sizes . . . you could have had one of ours, LOL.

Barbara, I know what you mean. I was just realizing how many non-necessities and luxuries we have even that aren't listed there.

Phantom Scribbler, I agree that being an only child isn't a mark of privilege. Living near water may not be either, but it's sure enjoyable.

That's so funny that we both honeymooned near Port Angeles. It's a beautiful area, isn't it?

Dani, I'm glad you had fun with it.

Liz, I guess the reasoning is that if you can afford to PAY for lessons (and I'd include music and other types of lessons in there), then you have more than the bare necessities?

I'm with Liz and Phantom that the list is a bit odd. I was surprised at some of the things that were included as well as some left out. I'd think owning your home would be a better choice for the list than being an only child, for instance.

Joan, I didn't expect to score as high as I did, either.

Miraclebaby, we'd love to have you over. I've gotten tagged for two memes this week, so I'll get to them if/when I can.

Colleen, thanks for checking in--we're fine, but busy away from the computer. And I'm so completely worn out by the time the kids are in bed that I want to go to bed too! LOL.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I scored a 9.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home