Thursday, April 28, 2005

Why engineers make the best . . .

I found this on another weblog and thought it was cute . . . especially this part:

An Engineer boyfriend will dedicate an unimaginable amount of his time and effort to understand you. Engineers strain really really hard to understand their work. You can believe that they will try really really hard to understand women too, just like how they understand their work, once they believe that you are the one. So even if they don't understand you initially, they will keep on trying.

That's certainly true of my sweet husband, who happens to have a degree in engineering and works in the computer field. :)

One of the things I love the most about him is that he's not your typical "macho-male" who doesn't really think or care about deep thoughts and feelings. He cares so much about understanding and communicating that he's more intentional about starting those kinds of conversations and maintaining emotional and mental intimacy/communication even than I am. And, he's constantly committed to working out problems and changing things to make life better.

I never will quite understand why he thinks solving the hardest mathematical problems he can find is a fun recreational activity, though.

Interestingly enough, our oldest daughter (she just turned 4) has the mind of an engineer as well . . . she loves to find patterns in things, and her idea of fun is not to actually play with her toys, but to sort and line them up according to different criteria, or to solve Rubix cubes, mazes and puzzles. She can take a maze like this, look at it for about 10 seconds, and then whip through it without making a wrong turn.

This is a child who, as we're riding along in the car, will suddenly out of the blue say, "Mommy, I know two O's says oo, two E's say ee, and C-H says ch, but what does T-H say?" We'll be sitting around the dinner table and she'll say, "Daddy, will you give me some words to read, please?" She's actually more interested in how the letters fit together to form different sounds than in reading for the story's sake--I'm sure that will come later, but right now it's learning the rules and patterns of how the letters fit together that really fascinates her.

It's fun living with engineer-type people and seeing how they think and process. :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some of the beautiful (engineering!) highlights of your family's daily life; they always tend to put a smile on my face. :)

Blogger seems much more featureful than Xanga. I also like the "Preview" that allows me to see what my comment will look like before I irrevocably post.

Now I just have to figure out how to be notified about your posts... probably by signing up for an account?

Kevin

12:32 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Hi, Kevin. I'm still trying to figure out if blogger has that feature and how it works.

If I can't figure it out, I'll just set up an e-mail list to e-mail people and let them know when I add a new post.

If I do something like that, would you prefer to get the entire post in e-mail or just a brief summary and a link to the post on my blog?

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either would be fine with me; whatever is easiest for you. But I wouldn't want to make more work for you.

Actually, your's and Mark's page load automatically whenever I start my browser, so it's normal for me to take a quick gander to see if something has been posted at least once a day.

Kevin

9:29 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I just added a bloglines subscription button to my sidebar . . . you can give that a try if you'd like.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you guys share some advice with me about an engineering friend of mine? He's brilliant and good-looking and I am extremely attracted to him. Still, he's a hard nut to crack--can't seem to get to his inner core. He's 28 and doesn't have a girlfriend or wife. I don't know why he can't keep a girlfriend, but I'm intrigued and want him to give me a try. He analyzes and tells me that he likes me, and is attracted to me and could see himself dating, but he fears the relationship will end bad and doesn't want to ruin our friendship. I think maybe he has a trait that always ends his relationships and he's afraid to reveal it to me. We have amazing sexual tension, but emotionally, and sometimes socially, he's very distant. When I did get fed up once and didn't contact him for a week, he called me to talk and I got more insight into his life and he's darling. The outward part that he shows at work (he's also a co-worker of mine) is one that alot of his fellow co-worker's don' t like, because he's very straight-forward and doesn't suffer foolishiness. However, the part of him I've fallen for is the part outside of work: attentive, gentleman and sweet (when we were on the phone he was buying gifts for his pregnant sister!--so sweet--he even said he talked to her about me and what he should do). Does anyone have any advice on how I can (not understand) but attract his engineering mind? Normally, if a guy acted this way toward me, I would get over him, but with this man, I want him more and more. I think he likes me but he thinks too damn much about everything. Please help! I don't know what is in his mind, but I want to at least get a crack at him...

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home