Saturday, October 21, 2006

Peace and Pancakes

DH is out with the older two girls buying a birthday present to take to a little friend's party later today, and Baby E is napping.

I actually have a few minutes to myself to write a blog post with two! hands! Then I'll get to shower and do some laundry in peace.

##########

I finally got smart and put her down when she started acting tired, even though it was only an hour or so after she got up. To my amazement, she went right to sleep.

Usually she ends up resisting the nap when I try to put her down later. She's very tired by that point, but not at all sleepy. She ends up having a protracted battle and then not sleeping until the afternoon.

That would be all right, except that then when we put her to bed in the evening she thinks that's her second nap of the day. She wakes up chipper after an hour and is up until 1 or 2 a.m.

Last night she slept from 1:30 a.m. until almost 9. Since she's getting her first nap of the day already at 10, maybe she'll sleep again in the early afternoon and be ready for bed at a more reasonable time.

A couple of people have sent me some great yeast-free bread recipes to try. I'm hoping to get a chance to play with them this weekend.

Best of all, yesterday I came up with a waffle/pancake recipe that actually works. I made it with just rice flour, pear puree, water, sea salt, baking soda and flaxseed meal. Since the naturopath had recommended flaxseed oil for Baby E, I wanted to find a way to get some into her. This worked great.

I was so excited that I was able to invent a recipe completely my own that created a conventional food in unconventional ways. It rises a bit, makes nice pancakes, and bakes up beautifully into delicious waffles. I tried baking it into muffins, but I didn't have the oven settings just right. I'll need to play with that a bit more.

So far, the waffles are my favorite. They're especially good with a pear/banana mixture for the fruit puree.

Today I'm going to try it with barley flour and a smaller amount of flaxseed, and see if it works that way.

Inventing my own recipes is so much fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

I hope she sleeps tonight! Cool about the recipe...I love experimenting.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool beans! Hang on a sec, and I'll get you that Little House recipe.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home