Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thankful Thursday Thirteen

I'm really thanking God tonight:

1. That my sister J is safe. She was supposed to walk to the Dining Common at her college tonight with some friends. At the last moment, Sis needed to run an errand and decided to take a quick detour and meet up with them at the commons. She and another friend (the sister of one of the girls she was supposed to walk with) were waiting at the dining common when another girl came running with awful news.

A tree had been downed by the ice storm, and had fallen on the other three girls. They were rushed to the hospital, all three injured and one in critical condition.



2. We think all the girls hit by the tree will be ok. One had a severe head injury and a broken skull (I think), but has been upgraded from critical condition and may even be able to go home in a day or two. Another ended up with three staples in her head, and the third had scratches and bruises.

Sis J is pretty shaken up, but is helping out and supporting her friends.

3. Lord willing and weather permitting, Sis will be home tomorrow for a month-long vacation from school. My youngest sister Amy should hopefully have some free time during the Christmas break as well. We have lots of great Christmas activities planned with DH's side of the family too, including what's becoming the annual tradition of a white elephant party at out house. I'm really looking forward to lots of time with both sides of the family, as well as friends.

4. My husband was so good to me this morning. I was up until about 3 a.m. last night trying to get some Kolache rolls and other goodies baked for the Mom's group party this morning.

DH got up with me and the kids at 7 and got all three kids dressed and ready to go while I got ready. Then he put coolant in my car, fixing the problem with the "broken" heater. He also warmed up the van and scraped the frost off the windows so the kids and I could just hop in and go. I felt so cared for and nurtured--thanks, DH!

5. I was able to find a recipe for the poppy-seed-filled traditional Czechoslovakian kolache rolls that my grandmother used to make. Baking them made me feel so connected to her somehow, even though it's been several years since she passed away suddenly.

6. This is the first time in over a month we haven't been sick and unable to attend the bi-weekly mom's group. The special speaker this morning gave a presentation about storytelling. It was great, and I had fun interacting with the other moms.

7. We got to go out to lunch afterwards with a friend from church. We've been trying to get together for a month now and kept having to cancel because of illness. Our kids had so much fun together, and we enjoyed visiting too.

8. I'm so glad we're not sick. I really hope we continue to stay healthy.

9. The two older girls were actually in bed by 7:35 tonight, and asleep by 8. It's so much better for them to get to bed earlier now that they almost never nap during afternoon "quiet time."

10. Baby E was asleep by 9, hopefully for the night! She's been going to sleep around midnight, and then I frantically spend the next hour or two trying to finish up household chores before finally crashing into bed in the wee hours of the morning, knowing I'm going to have to wake up to feed her at least once or twice before the two older girls wake up around 7. The last couple of days, I've forced myself to wake her up at a reasonable time instead of letting her sleep until 9 or 10 like she wants to. Between that and keeping her awake after 4 or 5 in the afternoon, she's finally starting to go to bed earlier. Hooray!

11. We don't have to go anywhere tomorrow. On the way home this afternoon, I became acutely aware that I was too tired to be driving safely. I skipped the errands I had been planning to do and went straight home. I'm very thankful we got home safely, with no mishaps.

The most horrifying thing is that when we finally I got home, I discovered that somehow only two of the three kids were buckled in. What an awful, horrible sinking feeling. I was in shock, just wanting to cry. I could not believe it--that's one of those things you hope as a parent that you never ever do! I'm so glad we got home safely.

I am not driving anywhere again until I'm more rested, and you can bet I'll be triple-checking the car seats. That really, reaally scared me.

12. My friend "Morning" came over this afternoon, and stayed for dinner and a movie since DH had a choir rehearsal. We hung out and relaxed, and I put my feet up and took it easy. I felt so lazy, but it was wonderful.

We watched the first part of Fiddler on the Roof, which Morning had never seen before. Even all three girls enjoyed it as we all snuggled on the couch, and then when we started getting to the more intense part they reluctantly went to get ready for bed.

I let them come down again briefly to watch the magnificent wedding scene. It was so poignant sitting there with all three of my girls in my lap, watching the wedding scene and hearing the song "Sunrise, Sunset" . . .


( Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset . . . )

Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older,
When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?
Wasn't it yesterday when they were small?

Sunrise sunset, sunrise, sunset,
Swiftly flow the days,
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers,
Blossoming even as they gaze . . .

Sunrise sunset, sunrise, sunset!
Swiftly fly the years,
One season following another,
Laden with happiness and tears . . .

( Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset . . . )


~ from the Broadway Musical Production "Fiddler on the Roof"
Music by Jerry Bock and lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
Sunbeam Music Corp. BMI

13. I'm going to bed now, and am going to concentrate on getting as much rest as possible in the next few days. There will be several gatherings with friends and neighbors during that time, and I have some fun things planned to do at home with the girls, but I don't have to drive anywhere until at least Sunday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Wow, thank GOD your sister is well. What a scary thing. I hope you get some rest too. It sounds like you have a lot of healthy, happy, holiday fun to have!

1:38 AM  
Blogger ccw said...

So glad that your sister is safe and that her friends are going to be ok.

I know that sinking feeling of discovering an unbuckled car seat. The "what ifs" are horrible, just be thankful nothing happened.

Sounds like you are busy with the holidays. Have fun with all of your preparations.

6:55 AM  
Blogger CalvaryGirl said...

PTL your sister is well A! It's amazing at how the Lord watches for us. He knew that was going to happen and PTL for your sister heeding his promptings!

Also glad to hear the schedule change with Baby E is working well. I know it's sometimes hard to do that.

9:23 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, all! J got home safely tonight. One of her friends is still in the hospital, however. She has one or two broken bones at the top of her spine, where the neck joins the skull. Scary!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

I hope those girls recover fully. It sounds like they will. A very close call indeed.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home