Monday, May 29, 2006

Sick Baby

Baby E has been quite sick the last few days. Doses of Tylenol Cold and infant Ibuprofen kept it mostly manageable while we were traveling Saturday and Sunday, and both Baby E and I enjoyed most of the trip.

We had a good time helping our friends drive to their new home Saturday and Sunday (we were in 3 different states over 2 days), and flew home Sunday evening.

Baby E is still sick. Last night was the most disconcerting, as several times she coughed and then seemed to be struggling to breathe. I was watching her carefully to see if she was in prolonged distress or changing color at all, but then she improved.

She was still pretty miserable today, but by this evening she seemed well on the way to recovery. She was happy and playful, eating pretty well, fever-free, and no longer coughing and sniffling so much.

Then I ate dinner.

####################

DH and a friend prepared it. DH was checking to see if I could eat things--he ascertained that I couldn't have the soft taco shells, but they found some corn tortillas with no soy in them for me.

Immediately after the next time she nursed, Baby E got really sick. She screamed and screamed, writhing and thrashing around miserably. She started having diarrhea, and her skin reddened and blistered wherever it touched her skin inside her diaper. I finally told DH that we needed to try to figure out what she was reacting to, because she was acting just like she did when I ate soy.

DH said, "Oh no. I'll bet there was soy in the taco seasoning. I didn't even think to check it. And did you eat the salsa?" (Yes.) "Oh. I think the salsa had soy in it. I'm sorry."

We finally ended up calling the doctor and asking what to do, because she was so miserable and it didn't seem to be letting up. The nurse on call said we could give her Benadryl to try to help.

Baby E finally fell whimperingly asleep in my arms, where she's sleeping now.

I'll "pump and dump" tonight and hopefully by morning the soy or whatever it was will be gone from my milk. I also had some coffee (mostly decaf) tonight (although that hasn't seemed to bother her lately). The combination of that along with the medicine we've been giving her for her cold might have added to her discomfort. We'll try to find out for sure tomorrow whether I consumed soy or not, so we know what we're dealing with.

It's a terrible feeling to know that my own milk essentially poisoned my baby and made her sick. And I've been so careful for the last 8 months!

The nurse also recommended that if she's still fussy tomorrow and/or doesn't seem to be getting well from her illness, that we should take Baby E in to see the doctor. So we'll see how she's feeling by tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yipes! The poor kidlet!

I hope she's feeling all better.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

How terrifying! I hope she was better today.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

I've had friends that have nursed with a food allergy baby, and I've nothing but the greatest respect for how hard it is to keep up with all the time. In a way, it's much easier when the kid is eating on their own because kids are often so picky anyway that they have this small group of safe and approved foods they choose from.

Anyway, I hope she's feeling better today.

p.s. about the Afghan: I leave it totally up to you. If you'd really like it to be something that Annika has (say, if you just feel it is "hers") then send it to her. I can tell you that the girl asks for blankets in 90-degree weather, so it would be used. I don't know why she has such trouble keeping herself warm, but she does. On the other hand, Andrea's raffles have been wonderfully helpful for us (and Badger did the eBay auction, too). So I guess I leave it up to you. Both ways are generous and kind.

8:28 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Liz and PS, thanks. She is doing quite a bit better.

Moreena, I think you're right that it's easier to limit foods with young children. Mainly I just hope she'll grow out of it eventually. I think it'll get harder to avoid soy as she gets older.

I tried to e-mail you about the afghan, but couldn't find an address in your profile. I think I'll finish it and then post some pictures of it, then we can decide how to handle it. At the rate I'm going it could be quite a while.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home