Saturday, August 05, 2006

Goodbye, Chocolate

Unfortunately, the more I'm thinking about it and experimenting with it, I think chocolate is probably an issue. It certainly seemed to bother Baby E when she was younger, but I thought she'd grown out of it. I've tried to hard to try chocolate that works for us, but it always seems to bother us no matter how much I try to blame it on other ingredients.

Small amounts of baking cocoa haven't seemed to bother us, but last night and this morning I had some of the Enjoy Life completely allergen-free chocolate chips, and I'm pretty sure that's what's making both the baby and me so uncomfortable right now. I got a similar reaction with Lindt 70% dark chocolate, which is also supposed to be good for people with allergies.

I'm so sad, because I crave chocolate like crazy (I know, another red flag) and there aren't that many foods left.

*Sigh.* Looks like I'll have to give up chocolate again. I did it for 5 months, so I know I can, but I missed it so much. From what I've been reading, both chocolate and carob are legumes that are somewhat related to peanuts and soy.

I guess it's worth it if it makes us feel better . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger OneTiredEma said...

Oh, so sad :-( But if it makes you guys feel better...and leads to better sleep (!), that would be worth it, right?

I hope you find an acceptable treat substitute.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I wonder if you can be allergy-tested for chocolate?

I had to give up chocolate for six months when LG was a baby, and I was as whiny as could be about it. So if you ever need someone to whine to about your lack of chocolate, I've got a sympathetic ear!

9:00 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, onetiredema. I am finding substitutes for most things, thankfully. I'm thinking actually that it may just be large quantities of chocolate that bother me, so I'm hoping I might still be able to eat small amounts.

Phantom, I am going to ask the allergist about testing for it. You can be sure I'll be whining about no chocolate again. :)

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home