Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Baby E's Cold



Poor Baby E. It's so hard to have a cold when you're a baby and don't understand.

#####################

She doesn't understand why she can't breathe through her nose, and she doesn't know it's only temporary. So it scares her.

She keeps patting her face and head and telling me, "Ow. Ow." She wants me to do something about it. I can't even give her Tylenol; just hugs and lots of fluids.



She can't figure out why icky yellow stuff keeps oozing out of her nose. She'll point to it pitifully and say "Nose? Nose?" over and over again.

But, of course, if I try to wipe it she screams and shakes her head frantically, covering her nose with her hand and trying with all her might to get away. Her poor little nose is so sore and red by now that it must feel like I'm rubbing it with sandpaper.



All she really wants is to be held. Is that so much for a baby to ask?



It doesn't help that she's still working on cutting that 8th tooth.



Between that, the frequent requests for milk, the fact that we all overslept this morning, the dreary rainy day, and my own oncoming cold, we haven't gotten much school done this morning. It's nearly noon and I've accomplished nothing more than cooking breakfast, letting the kids watch a Spanish video, and having them do their chores and read a book.

I'll be getting out the sling to try to get some schooling done with the older girls if Baby E doesn't go down for a nap soon. Right now the older girls are playing with an inflatable swimming pool (a gift from Aunt J) and a bunch of balls and blankets in the family room while I feed Baby E. (Great idea, Liz . . . thanks!) They're getting lots of exercise, so I'm calling it P.E.



At least we have the luxury to take a light school day if we need to. Even if we weren't talking about kindergarten and preschool, there's absolutely no need to worry about the kids getting behind in their studies at the rate they're going.

Yesterday they each did two math lessons (about 5 pages per lesson), just because they didn't want to stop after one. I'm having to skip a lot of the first-grade English course because it's too easy for AJ, and M&M read four (4!) books yesterday because she's fallen in love with reading. I don't think they're in too much danger of lagging behind the median academic level for 4- and 5-year-olds at this point. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenevieve said...

Here's some assvice:

When my nose feels like I've been rubbing it with 15-grit, I tear an old t-shirt (of which I have an infinite supply) into smallish rags and use those to wipe my nose. They are much softer than even the aloe/lotion kleenex, and one shirt makes at least 15-20 snot rags.

Just a thought.

1:05 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Jenevieve! I've been using some dampened cloths on her nose, but maybe a softer cloth would help.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Silas has an awful cold too! he keeps tapping his fingers in front of his throat and nose. it's so sad. it won't las too much longer though and she'll be back to her adorable happy self!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad the inflatable pool idea worked! MM loved it when we would fill his play yard with balloons and we did the same thing with an inflatable pool at my MIL's house (she has tons of breakable, irrisistable figurines on low tables that she refuses to put away when we visit.)

I second the soft t-shirt hankies. And if there's any blistex kind of product that won't trigger her allergies, I'd suggest rubbing some on her poor chapped nose.

5:34 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Michelle and Bridget, I hope your kids feel better soon too! It's hard to watch them be sick even with something minor.

Liz, the kids LOVE the pool. I do have some lanolin; I'll have to try putting some of that under Baby E's nose and see if that helps.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home