Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Quick Gluten Update

Baby E has an appointment with the new allergist today. If they are going to draw blood for allergy testing, I'll probably go ahead and have them run the celiac test at that time.

By this point I am fairly convinced that Baby E either has a gluten intolerance or is allergic to wheat. We gave her wheat again yesterday and she was miserable--stomach pain, abnormal BMs, etc. Her poor little bottom is all red and rashy. She wants me to hold her a lot and she keeps grabbing my hand and wanting me to rub her tummy.

We'll see what the allergist says today, but I think we're probably going to have to keep Baby E on gluten for a while until we find out whether they're going to want to do an endoscopy/biopsy or not. The "gold standard" for diagnosing or ruling out celiac is to go into the intestines and take a number of samples to look and see if the villi are damaged. Again, she has be eating gluten for the test to be accurate.

I think I'll try rye today and see if she tolerates it any better than the wheat or barley.

I feel like I'm poisoning my child.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps they'll come up with a positive test for allergies on wheat, etc. and then you can just stop feeding it to her.

I'm sorry that she's hurting and sorrier that you need to feed her things that hurt her to find out if they're really hurting her.

Ugh.

Big hugs and lots of sympathy.

3:11 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

That's what I was hoping, Liz. But no such luck.

Thanks.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home