Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Wings as Eagles

I was standing in the front yard when a majestic bald eagle swooped down so near to me that I grabbed hold of its tail and went soaring into the sky with it.

Up, up we went, the wind rushing through my hair as the huge wings flapped above me. The eagle shot high into the air and coasted over the treetops, then began a long glide down.

I saw the stunned, awed and frightened looks on my parents' faces and thought about letting go as the eagle neared the earth. But the eagle didn't seem to mind having a passenger, and I chose to continue the flight instead of clinging to the safety of the ground.

#######################

I kept my grip as we soared up again and over the house. This time the eagle went even higher. We climbed into the blue sky, past treetops and fluffy white clouds.

The sky was such a brilliant blue. We were high above the tall old douglas fir trees, and even above the flight patterns of the smaller birds. I could see for miles around. The feeling of being in flight was incredible.

The eagle swooped downward again, but not near enough to the ground this time for me to let go. It soared higher, enjoying the power of its wings lifting both me and the eagle into the heavens.

My hands and arms were beginning to cramp by this point, but my grip didn't loosen. As the eagle seemed to head farther from home, I began to worry a bit about where I might end up if it carried me far away.

Then the eagle folded its wings and plummeted toward the earth, diving with incredible speed. The rushing air whistled in my ears and took my breath away.

Soon the eagle opened its wings to slow our fall. But, unexpectedly, my extra weight meant that we fell faster than the eagle had intended despite its attempts to slow our descent.

As the earth rushed toward us, I felt just a twinge of fear. I knew I could die, but it didn't frighten me much. I knew I was taking that risk when I decided to fly. Even now, the flight seemed worth it.

I spread my body out as much as I could, trying to catch the wind like the eagle's spread wings. Even as we rocketed toward the earth I felt the eagle's wings controlling and slowing our fall.

We neared the ground, and I knew that we were going to be okay. If I let go, the eagle would recover its lift and soar into the sky again. I would hit the ground hard, but I'd be all right.

I prepared myself for a for a heavy impact and let go.

The eagle soared up into the sky again, but I didn't fall hard as I expected. Instead, I caught the lift of the air with my body and floated slowly, gently down to earth. I landed on my feet, crouching, with the gentlest bump.

The sense of wonder and exhilaration was incredible.

As I watched the eagle disappear into the sky above, I leaped into the air with my arms raised, yelling, "Woohoo!"

My celebratory leap caught the breeze again, and I floated through the air as if there was almost no gravity, coasting on air currents. My shouts of joy echoed through the sky.

Finally I landed again and clenched my fist as in victory, shouting "Yes!" I was crying and laughing, overcome by joy, exhilaration and awe.

My dad, who had followed to the back yard, looked at me in amazement, sharing my wonder at the flight of the eagle.

"They shall mount up on wings as eagles," I said slowly. "So that's what it feels like. On wings as eagles."

I woke up smiling. For the first time in weeks, I felt truly rested and peaceful.

Isaiah 40:31 echoed through my mind:

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

The dream was a gift. I don't know if it's an answer to the prayers our church home group sent heavenward last night or not, but God knew I needed some rest and encouragement and came through just in time.

As I woke from the eagle dream, Baby E woke up screaming. She started up right where she left off last night.

Picking her up didn't calm her at all. No matter what I did, she threw her body violently in every direction, without regard to what she might be slamming her head against. That went on for a long time.

Finally she settled down a bit, but was still short-fused and unhappy for the rest of the morning. She acted like she wanted to nurse, but threw a tantrum when I offered to let her.

She was jealous of the pump, climbing into my lap and trying to pull it off me. She wanted nothing to do with nursing, though, just cuddling up to me and sucking on her lip while holding my hand against her face with both of hers.

When I finished pumping, she asked for a bottle and eagerly lifted it to her lips, but took only a few swallows. Still, that's progress I think.

I feel less discouraged today. I have a plan.

For the next few days Baby E and I are going to eat only a handful of foods. I'm keeping the list short and simple, limited strictly to the few foods I'm as close as possible to 100% certain Baby E tolerates well: Rice, bananas, pears, broccoli, chicken and perhaps squash--I'm still debating the squash.

I think, at least for the first few days, I'll keep even the seasonings down to salt and pepper, will use no oil except the chicken fat incidental in cooking, and will avoid anything with potential cross-contamination issues like rice flour.

We'll eat those 5 foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hopefully after a few days of the limited diet, Baby E's current issues will resolve themselves. At that point I'll start adding new foods one at a time, carefully, a few days apart.

I'm going back to the beginning. This time I'm going to make sure that traces of a food I haven't introduced to Baby E in my milk don't compromise the accuracy of our food challenges. Since she is wanting to at least try taking my milk in a cup or bottle, I am going to put myself on the same elimination diet she's doing.

Maybe within a few days she'll either stop taking milk completely or start nursing again; for the mean time I'll just keep pumping and being available to her if she decides to nurse.

If this elimination diet doesn't seem to solve whatever is going on with Baby E that's making her so miserable, I'll be harassing the doctor until we get some answers.

There's got to be some reason for her discomfort and unhappiness. It seems too extreme and persistent to be something simple like teething.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big hugs. I think both of you doing an elimination diet is smart.

And I hope you can let yourself feel okay about the sweet potatoes, they are usually allergenically inert, right?

And I'm glad that you're going to harass her doctor if this doesn't work. I agree it's too persistant for teething.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

discomfort... probably hunger pains..??

Hey, I found my LLL meeting and asked a few questions but I don't always get the facts right so spare me. :-) One gal mentioned that yams and sweet potatoes are different and only one is a night shade.

A leader highly recommended that you read Enzymes for Autism and other neurological disorders (fibromyalgia).

http://www.amazon.com/Enzymes-Autism-other-Neurological-Conditions/dp/0972591877/sr=8-1/qid=1160517629/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9718138-9242510?ie=UTF8

She herself takes enzymes for carbs and protein (and showed me the pills) with good results. She said that YOU probably need to get your body squared away so that your milk is better... and digestive enzymes are the key.

On a side, I've been giving acidophilus pills to Doug and it got rid of his foot fungus (it changes your body's pH) and he seems to be in a better mood! I'm tempted to call them "happy pills" and the LLL leader said the bacteria helps him absorb vitamin B12 in the intestines. B12 helps you focus better and that's exactly what he has been struggling with lately b/c we're in the middle of closing on two houses!! It's going really well now.

Praise the Lord ALWAYS!!!
Love, Colleen

3:12 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz. Yes, sweet potatoes are generally considered one of the least allergenic foods.

I keep reminding myself that I'm doing the best I can, and am putting a lot of effort into Baby E's health and wellbeing. That's good, and that's all I can do.

Colleen, I appreciate your concern and trying to do some research for me. I'm glad you and Doug are feeling better. House stuff can be so stressful!

"One gal mentioned that yams and sweet potatoes are different and only one is a night shade."

Actually, neither yams nor sweet potatoes are in the nightshade (Solanaceae) family.

Sweet potatoes are in the morning glory (Convolvulaceae) family.

What we call yams in the American market (the deep orange, sweet, moist variety labeled yam on the grocery store shelf) are actually not yams at all, but another variety of sweet potato commonly (but errenously) called the yam to differentiate it from the more yellow, starchy sweet potato.

The real yam is not readily available here in the USA and is a very different plant.

The true yam is a large (can be upwards of 60 lbs) starchy tuber with a thick, scaly skin. Unlike the sweet potato, the yam requires cooking in order to not be poisonous.

The yam is in the yam (Dioscoreaceae) family, and is the only known type of plant in that botanical family.

All this stuff is so fascinating, isn't it?

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{{{Purple Kangaroo}}}}}

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The web site I sent to you also says that you can find other foods, like real yams, and many others that seem to be non allergy foods to us. Maybe because we have not over exposed ourselves to them?
She lists some of the foods she found that her baby could eat and tried to find out from others in the stores how to fix them. LOL In spite of the language barrier.
Love,
Mom

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, forgot to add at ethnic grocery stores.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering about taro root as a substitute for the starches you're not able to eat. You know, poi? It's available in ethnic food stores in powdered form, but goodness knows if they process it in a hypoallergenic way.

I'm not very fond of the flavor of it myself, but my Hawaiian Dance teacher LOOOOOVES it and says that she'll often make it when she's alone so she won't have to share.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Elimination Diet is an extraordinarily good idea. It will be like starting her on solids all over again: you'll know EXACTLY what is going in her sweet little rosebud mouth and how it affects her.

Having a plan always makes me feel better too. Good luck! I'll be watching to see how it goes.

I also want to encourage you with your battle to continue nursing. I think that is so wise. With the (potentially) very narrow variety of foods she can eat, it is good that you will be able to supplement nutrients she needs through your breast-milk. Your pumping will pay off once she's back to the breast.

8:14 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Phantom.

Grandmacar and Liz, thanks for the ethnic foods suggestions. I'll be looking into those once we start adding more foods to our diet. It would be fun to try some of them even if we don't really have to.

a. borealis, thanks. I'm thinking that by keeping things simple and introducing one thing at a time, it will be much easier to pinpoint any reactions.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home