Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Delivering Chocolate

Me: "Here, M&M . . . " I hand her two small pieces of chocolate-covered matzo.

M&M: Oh, TWO pieces! Are they both for me?

Me: No, one is for AJ. Could you give it to her, please?

M&M: Oh. [pause] I don't think AJ wants it.

Me: Why? Didn't she like the piece I gave her earlier?

M&M: Yeah, she did, but I just don't think she wants another one. Can I eat it?

Me: No, silly girl. You need to give AJ her piece. I think she really does want it, and you're just saying that because you want to eat it yourself. :) You can both have another piece later.

A few minutes later I notice that M&M is standing beside AJ, savoring the last of her own piece. She is cradling the second piece in her hand, hesitating.

Me: AJ, look! M&M has a surprise for you.

M&M hands AJ the chocolate-covered cracker.

AJ: Wow, thanks, M&M! Yummy.

Me to M&M: So she did want it, huh?

M&M: [sigh] Yeah.

I sympathize, I do. It's hard to let go of chocolate.

Labels: ,