Saturday, January 12, 2008

Resting

The cleaning crew (two men) on Tuesday was great. They were friendly, hardworking, and set me at ease even though they could tell I was a bit embarrassed to be needing help cleaning my house.

I spent most of the day going ahead of them to pick up floors so they could vaccuum, declutter countertops, get out linens for them to put on the beds, etc.

I ended up overdoing it, so I've been struggling with pain and fatigue, and just generally not feeling well since then. Somehow I need to get it through my head that the week or so it takes me to recover just isn't worth pushing myself that hard to get things done.

My house looks good, though.

##########################

It took two professional men (who never stopped to take a breath, it seemed) over 4 hours to clean 2/3 of the house. The rooms that are still full of clutter I just had them ignore. So they cleaned the kitchen and nook, family room, entry, staircase, hallway, master bedroom, kids' room, playroom, and all 3 bathrooms.

I don't know whether it makes me feel better or worse that it took more than 8 man-hours to clean just part of my house. In a way, it makes me feel a bit better about not being able to keep up on my own. That didn't even include any of the daily maintenance things like dishes and laundry, decluttering, meal prep, etc--it was just vaccuuming, mopping floors, cleaning bathtubs, dusting and stuff like that.

I made it through the week, although I barely managed to do the minimum necessary to take care of the kids, do a little bit of school with them, and feed them. DH helped a lot, taking over and letting me rest when he got home from work. He's such a sweet guy.

I keep wondering if I have some kind of low-grade virus, but it's so hard to tell whether I'm actually sick or it's just a flare-up. Either one has about the same results.

I'm trying to take care of myself. I've cleaned up my diet (no sugar or refined carbs--I had let that slide a bit over the holidays), am taking some extra vitamins and supplements, am back to limiting gluten and completely avoiding all dairy products (just for myself since that seemed to help in the past, not for the rest of the family), have upped my water intake, and am going to bed earlier and resting during the day as much as I can, but so far nothing seems to be making much of a difference. Hopefully something will kick in soon.

Today DH is home from work and is taking care of the kids and running errands. Tomorrow we'll have church (I'm supposed to work in Baby E's class) and home group. I would have really liked to get out of the house and do something fun, either with DH and the kids or by myself today. Or catch up on dishes and laundry that have gotten a bit behind, or make some more progress on the decluttering. But it takes too much energy.

It's annoying, because when I'm feeling okay I'm the type of person that has to be on the go or doing something all the time. I hate getting up in the morning and feeling like all I want to do is crawl back into bed. When getting dressed and taking a shower makes me feel I've run a marathon, and I ache so much and have such a fuzzy brain that I can hardly process what people are saying to me.

Today I'm just resting.

Labels: , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

aww, hugs. That's how I've been feeling, too. At least I have an idea of what might be causing it. Hoping you'll find relief, too.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Becci said...

Sorry you're feeling so run-down. I hope you get better soon!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I can't remember if I asked before if you've been tested for Lupus?

And many, many, many hugs.

9:16 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Amy and Miraclebaby.

Liz, yes I've been tested for Lupus. My "official" diagnosis is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, allergies and back/neck problems. And some food intolerances. All that catch-all stuff that they diagnose you with when they don't really know. :)

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home