Wednesday, July 02, 2014

A rap, or chant, or something . . .

Crazy grumpiness today, from everyone in the household including Mom. I was racking my brain about how to "reset" the mood and reclaim the day, and came up with this little rhyme.

"Grumpiness, grumpiness, go away!
We're family (and friends) and we're here to stay!
We love each other; yes we do!
So let's have some grace and some gentleness too!
Gentleness, kindness and courtesy
Make for an awesome family!
Yaaay!!"

I wish I'd had a camera to capture the looks on their faces when I suggested to 4 teens/preteens (my three plus an extra we had today) that we all hold hands and dance in a circle while chanting it. I then proceeded to loudly and animatedly demonstrate it myself, making them all roll their eyes, laugh at me and groan.

My kids think I'm crazy. But it actually worked to dissipate the foul mood. :)

Apparently at this age the ability to embarrass myself in front of my kids and/or the general public is like some sort of secret weapon, LOL.

Labels: , , , , , ,


2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Excellent post! Your last one on colic and too much milk was fascinating as well.

I ever so gradually learned your lesson as an adult, observing that my mom could surprisingly accomplish things when interacting with people that I could not because I did not want to embarrass myself.

Not only has that realization given me more courage in connecting with people, I also look at embarrassment a little differently, and I let my mom do her thing without protective comment or cringing because I never know where it might lead.

3:56 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, so true,Kevin. Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home