Saturday, May 07, 2005

Books and childhood memories

A post by The Phantom Scribbler left me feeling nostalgic about books. Like The Phantom, my sisters and I would read constantly--in the car and everywhere else, to the point that we often missed what was going on around us. In fact, when it came time to learn how to drive we didn't even know our way around town because we'd always been too busy reading in the car to pay attention to where we were going.

My mother instilled a great love for quality books in us as I was growing up, and I was raised on classics like Little Women, The Five Little Peppers and How they Grew, Elsie Dinsmore, and so many more. Mom collects vintage books, so many of them I read in the older, sometimes original, printings. There's something solid and real about those older hardback books with the old-fashioned illustrations and thick pages--those books have a tangibility and a soul that modern paperbacks just can't match.

If you haven't read them, you really need to check out Little Women and Louisa May Alcott's other books--some of my favorites are Jack and Jill, Little Men, and Eight Cousins.

Also, if you like Alcott's work, you'd probably also enjoy Johanna Spyri. Most people know her as the author of Heidi, but few know that she wrote a large number of other children's books as well--some of which in my opinion are even better than Heidi, but most of which are out of print. You can probably find some of them at your local library.

I just made a most marvelous discovery, in Googling to remind myself of the names of some of Spyri's books. Several of them are online in their full texts, so you can read them and even see the illustrations for some of them. Here they are: http://www.geocities.com/johannaspyri/spyrionline.html

We used the old brown McGuffey Readers, too, as well as a lot of quality modern literature. As we got older we moved on to books like The Count of Monte Cristo and the works of authors like Dickens, Jane Austen, and everything from Chaucer and the Bible forward.

There was a series of books about boys that we had, and I can't remember the name of them at the moment. They were about boys who started out in poor and often deperate circumstances and through honesty and hard work they grew up to better themselves and their circumstances.

I also remember reading and loving the Betsy and Tacey books, the Little House on the Prairie series, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Black Stallion and all the sequels, Black Beauty, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (brilliant literature disguised as charming children's stories, but are actually biting satire with great insight into life and society), and too many more to list. We would go to the library and come home with as many bags of books as we could carry, and devour them all within a few days. I must confess that I often got into trouble as a child for reading when I was supposed to be doing something else such as math homework, chores, or sleeping. :)

My girls, A (4) and M (almost 3) already share that love of books . . . they will sit and look at books for hours on end, and when I sit down to read to them they would love to fill my lap with a pile of books so high I can't get my chin above them--and then they'll sit there and want "just one more" until my voice gives out. I can't remember a time in the recent past where either of them has gotten tired of reading books before the adult reading to them has. :)

What are some of your best-loved books from childhood?

A few of my kids' favorites right now are Goodnight Moon, The Very Quiet Cricket, The classic Winnie the Pooh series, the Dr. Seuss books, and the Bible. I tend to like the shorter, more poetic books--but the girls think the longer the story, the better. I'm thinking it's time to start reading Little House in the Big Woods and Paddington Bear to them next.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Project Gutenburg is an excellent site that provides public domain materials in electronic form (it's also referenced as the actual source of the Spyri texts you linked to). e.g. Alcott's books are listed here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/a#a102

Sadly, I don't have the breadth of experience as you when it comes to good books. "Literature" used to signify those books I was forced to read for school which did not interest me, or worse, which I disliked. It amazed me that these were considered "classics".

Eventually, however, I read several books I enjoyed. Once I adapted to Shakespeare's symbolic style, I enjoyed him a lot. I also read some Fantasy and Sci-Fi which was interesting at the time, but upon perusal today seems a bit dull to me.

I enjoyed the movie "Little Women", so I imagine I would enjoy the book even more. Thanks for listing some of your favorites; it gives me ideas for when I'm craving a good story.

1:11 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much for that link, Kevin! One of the authors was the one who wrote boys' books that I was trying to remember--Horatio Alger.

I'll have fun browing through all the books available there.

Mark Twain and Arthur Conan Doyle, of course, must be included in the list of best authors, and DH and I really enjoy the Peter Wimsey mysteries by Dorothy Sayers. And then, of course, there are L.M. Mongomery's books, which are even better than the Anne of Green Gables movies as well. :)

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was young, mystery stories fascinated me. I started by reading nearly the entire Nancy Drew series, which took some doing. Then, I moved quite a few rungs up the ladder when I discovered Sherlock Holmes. I would routinely go through the entire cadre of Holmes stories every few months when I was younger. Now, I've graduated to Lord Peter Wimsey stories, with an occasional foray into the more light-hearted stuff from Agatha Christie. Still, detective stories are my favorites. :)

Mark

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, the Horatio Alger books have a bit of history that I never knew until recently. Evidently he sexually abused young boys and then used some of the characters in the books. I forget if the writing of the books was meant to atone for his sins or not. But it would be worth doing a bit of research about him before buying his books.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Carolynn from Western Australia said...

Angela,

I loved Enid Blyton, especially "The Famous Five" series, absolutely brilliant, she also had another series for slightly younger kids "The Secret Seven" and of course there is always Noddy and Big Ears.

I still love redaing today and will pick up absolutely anything and read it. I'll often pick a book at random and if that particular Author grabs my attention go looking for more of their books.

I also have several shelves of refernece books both Nature and Historical, Gardening, Cooking, then there are all my Craft books and Art Books on WaterColour painting and Soft Pastels Painting.

I know I said I should go to bed but am here reading your journal back in 2005 !!!!!

Love and Hugs Carolynn xxx :-)

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home