Friday, May 13, 2005

A Dozen Things I've Never Done

Ann Althouse has a post today on "Ten Things I've Never Done."

It reminds me of a party game I played a few times as a kid . . . "I Never." Each player gets a given number of beads and the object of the game is to keep as many as you can. Players take turns saying something they've never done, and whoever has done that thing has to drop a bead in the jar.

It can be a really fun game as long as it doesn't get out of control. We tried playing it at a family reunion once and it was great until the kids got the bright idea of using it to try to find out their parents' secrets.

Rounds of items like "I've never been in an airplane" gave way to rounds of "I've never seen an X-rated movie" and "I've never taken illegal drugs." Since some of the children present were as young as 5 or 6, the game ended pretty quickly after that . . . but not before a few gasps of, "Mom! I can't believe you did that!"

Of course, no discussion about "things I've never done" would be complete without linking to the lyrics of "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" . . . "Well, I've never been to Greenland and I've never been to Denver, and I've never buried treasure in St. Louis or St. Paul, and I've never been to Moscow and I've never been to Tampa, and I've never been to Boston in the fall." If you need a chuckle, listen to a clip of the ReliantK rendition in real audio media here. [Edited to add: Here's the whole song, sung by the VeggieTales gang, in .wav format or .ram format.]


Here's mine: "A Dozen Things I've Never Done."

1. I've never been kissed by a man I wasn't married to. That's right; my first kiss was on my wedding day, right after the minister said "You may now kiss the bride." (Yes, it was DH's first kiss too.)

2. I've never been out of North America (but I intend to remedy that some day).

3. I've never had a brother or a son (DH is hoping we'll remedy that one eventually . . . he's feeling slightly outnumbered with our third girl on the way).

4. I've never been ticketed for a moving traffic violation.

5. I've never been skiing--snow or water.

6. I've never taken pain-relieving medication during labor (and my first daughter's birth involved 20-some-odd hours of painful, ineffective contractions 1 to 1 1/2 minutes apart, and a broken tailbone--mine, not hers). I've also never had my water break before the baby's birth.

7. I've never flown in anything besides an airplane.

8. I've never eaten eggplant, although I'd be willing to try it (I'm an adventurous eater and enjoy most things from roasted cattail root to fried grasshoppers).

9. I've never used an iPod, and I don't think I've ever even seen one in person.

10. I've never had any kind of surgery other than dental work.

11. I've never made a prank phone call or tipped a cow.

12. I've never turned down an opportunity to ride a horse, elephant, donkey or other large ride-able animal.

And, just to make it a baker's dozen: I've never been to Boston in the fall.

9 Comments:

Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I've never taken birth control pills, either. :)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding #4, I must point out that your status as a woman, especially a pregnant one, has more than once prevented you from receiving a ticket when you otherwise would have deserved one. Those of us who are not so lucky as to have either of those sympathy-garnering characteristics at our disposal are sometimes inclined to be jealous...

:)
Mark

11:16 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Only once! I've only ever been pulled over once.

I was 8-9 months pregnant with A at the time and the officer asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I said, "I'm sorry, officer, I wasn't paying attention. But I was probably going 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit." It was 7.

He asked why I was speeding. I said, "I wasn't paying attention and I was in a hurry to get home."

He looked at my belly and let me off with a warning. I think he appreciated my honesty too. :)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Old Patriot said...

Well, I can say that except for #6, which doesn't apply to me, and #9, which doesn't appeal to me, I'm guilty of all the rest, plus a lot more! 8^)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under threat of cruel retaliation, I am being forced by a certain purple kangaroo to add my own list to the mix here. Let it be known that this is submitted under duress... :)

10 Things I Have Done, and Hope Never To Do Again

1. Eat beef liver (unfortunately, we still have a large amount in our freezer)

2. Find a wife (not that it's a bad process, but I like the one I've got :) )

3. Throw up in a restaurant (particularly when I'm trying to impress a female at the table)

4. Spend the night in an airport by myself in a foreign country

5. Sleep through a college graduation... especially since it was my own

6. Bury a closely-related infant

7. Wear leotards in public

8. Tell a lie to someone I love

9. Watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers from start to finish

10. Write a "10 Things..." list!

:)

Mark

11:40 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Ha! I simply mentioned that I was considering writing a post of 10 things about you, but that I probably wouldn't feel the need if you did one about yourself. :)

Now, let's see you post it on your own blog.

BTW I like your #2.

12:03 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

old_patriot, since you're having trouble coming up with a list of things you've never done here's some more inspiration for you.

RWNJ, DH and I are wondering if maybe it's our task to help restore balance to the family. One of DH's brothers gave up trying for a girl after 6 boys, and boys are definitely dominant in the family. (This baby will be the 50th grandchild on DH's side, I think--ours are the only grandkids on my side.)

12:32 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Eggplant is yummy. Try it in a grilled vegetable sandwich (if your kids help, or better yet, if they can pick some of the veggies from the garden or help pick them from the produce section, they'll usually be excited to eat it too):

cubed eggplant
chopped onions
sliced mushrooms
sliced zucchini

Saute a couple cloves of garlic in a bit of olive oil; add onions and cook until golden. Add vegetables and saute until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on baguettes with some provolone or mozzarella melted on top. I've also thrown in some herbs from the garden on occasion -- fresh basil's great in there.

8:50 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Mmm, that sounds really good. I will certainly have to try it if I ever get my hands on an eggplant.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home