Sunday, May 08, 2005

Why make gift-giving into an agonizing guessing process?

It's Mother's Day, and I've seen several discussions around the blogosphere about people not knowing what to give their wife/mother, or confessions from moms that they weren't too thrilled with their gifts. In this family, we gave up on trying to read minds a long time ago. If we have a great idea of something we want to give or think the person would like, wonderful! But if we're at a loss, the people who will be giving a gift simply ask for a few suggestions from the person who will be receiving the gift about what they would like--forget the guessing!

My suggestions of what I would like for this occasion were probably not what most moms would want, but when you're on a budget that doesn't allow for many non-essentials, that makes simple things extra-special.

I asked for either a low-impact aerobics video with the type of music I like, or a spongy rug for the kitchen floor (to put in front of the stove for my aching 7-months-pregnant feet).

Of course, DH knows that chocolate, jewelry, pampering supplies such as bath salts, or a good book or music selection are always winners too.

A and M made me cards in Sunday School this morning, and DH and the girls picked out a nice kitchen mat for me, along with two bars of dark chocolate and a Butterfinger bar (my favorite!). But, shhh! I'm not "supposed" to know that yet. The kids were falling asleep in the car on the way home from the store and so we're postponing the presentation until later this afternoon. I'm not sure if an aerobics video is forthcoming or not, since DH informed me earlier this week that he probably wouldn't be ready for Mother's Day by today. :)

The best part of the day so far, really, was having my two girls tell me Happy Mother's Day about 20 times each, complete with big grins and glowing eyes, and having DH initiate a conversation over lunch about what they like about Mommy and what their favorite things to do with me are. Tonight, DH and the kids will cook a special meal together for the occasion, and I'm looking forward to that also. :)