Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Not Afraid Any More

Mark Congdon is starting a new series of posts on his blog, talking about songs that have been pivotal or especially illustrative of pivotal points in his life.

His first post in the series is about breaking free from leading a double life, and from secrecy and addiction. It's a beautiful story about the freedom he gained in developing honesty and openness in his life. I highly recommend reading it--it's really a great post.

Of course, I may be slightly biased. :)

Kevin writes this paragraph that sums it up nicely in the comments:

"I think honesty provides the certainty that if someone loves you, they love you for who you are and not for who you are pretending to be; and with that comes the freedom to be, and be loved, without fear of loss."

I agree. As long as we're living a double life or living a mask, we have to wonder if people "knew what we were really like" how they would respond to us. We tend to believe that it's not really our true selves people like; they love only the mask we wear.

It's only when we're real and open with ourselves, God and other people that we find true freedom--and experience true love.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! The realization that being the me that God created me to be is so much easier and brings such joy and freedom has changed my life! Fear is left behind with hope taking it's place. Knowing that I'm being who God created me to be helps me trust Him more, because I know that I'm not stepping out of His will.

4:29 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

That's an interesting point, Angie. Thanks for sharing!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the post - very heartfelt and inspirational. I really related to what Mark said about different songs representing a spiritual era in his life; that's true of me as well.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home