Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Eleventy-One Things About Me, 20-25 --University Edition

Here are a few university-related things about me.


20. I went to two universities for a total of 4 1/2 years with a very good GPA at both, but I don't have a college degree. The credits didn't transfer very well, so if I went back to school I'd probably essentially have to start over.

21. Someday I want to finish my bachelor's degree.

22. I'd really love to get a master's degree, but am not sure that will ever happen. We'll see--anything is possible I guess. I'm really interested in going to a seminary near here for their certificate in Women's Ministries, which is supposed to be a really excellent series of courses. That would be a little more attainable. :)

23. My first semester in college, I took 21 credits--these included research paper English, pre-med Biology (which I was taking "just for the fun of it"), History of Civilization (very tough teacher with lots of memorizing of names and dates--not my strong suit), a New Testament class which included a large amount of Scripture memorization, and a 4-credit Home Furnishings class that should have been 6 credits for the amount of homework it had. For the Home Furnishings class we had to build a notebook with all our class notes typed up and illustrated with appropriate pictures cut from magazines--a certain number for each point in the outline, such as sconce lighting, triadic color schemes, etc.

Technically, students (especially freshmen in their first semester) weren't allowed to take that many credits at once, but my advisor made an exception for me because of my "chutzpah"--he thought I could handle it.

I survived the semester, but barely.

If you are a high school senior about to enter college, please take my advice: Never, never do this to yourself.

24. My majors were creative writing, journalism and Bible (double major at the second school). My minors were art and public speaking.

Can you tell I love creativity and communication?

25. Spanish is my second language--I learned a lot from my dad growing up and then took it in high school and college. (Dad isn't technically Hispanic, but he spent his childhood in Mexico and used to speak Spanish better than English. He imbibed much of the culture as well. Between living in the Pacific Northwest, Oklahoma, and Mexico, occasionally he'll say words in ways nobody else ever says them. :) )

The really ironic thing is that taking college Spanish, although it expanded my grammatical and vocabulary knowledge, caused my formerly good accent to deteriorate significantly. College Spanish class was the first time I'd heard the language spoken primarily by non-native speakers, and I picked up a lot of the dreaded "gringo" accent from required conversation time with my classmates. :)

I used to be fairly fluent in Spanish but have lost a lot of it over the past few years. Now I'm starting to pick it up again as my girls have become interested in it and A has asked me to teach her. DH is learning it along with the kids, too.

We are planning a family trip to Mexico one of these years, and I'm really excited about taking DH and the girls (none of whom have ever been to South America or any Spanish-speaking country) to my favorite place in the world next to the Pacific Northwest.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Canguro Púrpura,

No supe que hablas español. Estudiaba en la escuela y despues en la universidad. Trataba especializar en esta lengua, pero me falta una semestre. Que lástima ¿no?

Y, también, me olvida mucho. Es necesario usar el sitio www.freetranslation.com para dos palabras y muchas formas gramaticales.

Me gusta tu blog. Lo siento que tu niñita tiene alergias tan severo. Mi niña no puede tomar leche de vacas. Es defícil, pero no es como maize, estoy confidente.

Okay, enough Spanish. I will enjoy catchin up on your life, now that I'm back on line.

10:45 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Mi español está muy mohoso. Yo puedo leer mejor que puedo hablar o escribir. La parte difícil es que recuerdo las palabras para lo que quiero decir.

I'm not even sure I said that right!

Mi padre vivió en México cuando él era joven. Me gusta México.

Is your little one allergic to dairy or just lactose-intolerant?

11:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

She's allergic. I am too, as is most of my family. She does pretty well with soy, though, and has no problems with goat and sheep cheeses. Plus, we're okay with cream and butter, which have only traces of protein.

Have you ever heard of/considered NAET? It's an acupressure technique designed to eliminate allergies (www.naet.com). My sister had her kids "cleared" of several allergies, including dairy and wheat, and my pastor's kids have been through it too, with good results. Just one more resource in the ever widening array of allergy information...

Amy

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home