Sunday, May 29, 2005

Haikus

Freshman44 posted a "haiku" found on a bottle of tea she was drinking, that went like this:

where you danced
bright shapes scorch
the autumn chill

by Elizabeth G. Scheib, USA.



and issued the challenge

C'mon, my bloggy friends. You can do at least that well.

My reply:


Lacking three lines of
five, seven, five syllables
it can't be haiku.

Haiku is a fixed
syllabic poetic form
by definition.

Take away that form,
it may be a verse of sorts
but not a haiku.

All right, I see you
groaning and shaking your head
at my lame haikus.

I've made my point now
with much verbiage, little pith;
I'll leave you in peace.



Anyone else want to join the fun? Haikus are extremely easy to write--just count the syllables in each line.

9 Comments:

Blogger R.H. said...

You are Joan of Arc
Never your sword surrender
Purple kangaroo.

8:10 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Hi, RH. Thanks for the hauku!

Now you have me wondering if you're someone I know, but I don't have a clue . . . my great mystery of the day, I guess. :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Her's one for today:

Memorial Day
the sun shines on memories.
We honor the dead.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Purple kangaroo
visits my blog for recipies
using fennel. Yay!

Feeble product, I know, but thanks for stopping by! I post recipes nearly every week, as well as poetry. Come around anythime and I'll do the same. Your blogis well-presented.

6:46 PM  
Blogger R.H. said...

'I regret to inform you' that there's no mystery at all. I live in a land with lots and lots of kangaroos, that's all.
It's the deep south. Next stop, Antartica.

9:37 AM  
Blogger R.H. said...

My dears...California girls, everybody: I am the child of a mentally retarded mother and an alcoholic dad. I was born with syphillis. If I'd been aborted no one would need to be banning me; I'd have been banned before I was born.

That is all.
Much obliged.
Robert.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing forgotten;
Specific subject matter
Of Haiku: nature.

Ok, that was lame.
Here'a (slightly) better one:

Green is violet
In distant smokey strata
Of lovely foothills.

~Sis

12:32 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Good point, Sis. I believe there are two types of Haikus: traditional haiku, which must be about nature; and "new style" haiku, which can be about any subject. Both have to follow the 5-7-5 syllable format to qualify as haikus at all.

The website of the tea company in question specifically said they accepted new style haikus, which could be on any subject, but that they still had to fit the 5-7-5 format.

However, the example from the bottle in question doesn't fit the formatting requirements laid out on the website. :)

Very nice traditional haiku. I like it.

1:16 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Here's the web site about the haiku contest.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home