Thursday, June 29, 2006

Beeeeep!

Well, after thinking I wasn't too sore the first few days after the car accident, each day after that I've been more sore and fatigued. I have a physical therapy appointment today, but I might also make another appointment with the regular doctor, since he said to come back in if there was a change or anything got a lot worse.

It's mostly lifting/carrying Baby E that's painful. Which is one reason why I'm at the moment debating with myself about whether I should wake Baby E from her nap now or not, since she's been asleep for over 3 hours. She doesn't seem to be feeling well today, so I'm not sure whether to wake her up or let her sleep. Lots of napping hasn't seemed to affect her nighttime sleep much so far.

DH go up and fed the kids breakfast this morning to let me take a nap after having been awake with Baby E since 6 (which has become her normal wake-up time). After he left and Baby E fell asleep, the two older girls happily entertained themselves playing with Polly Pocket dolls and doing an educational game on the computer this morning while I dozed within earshot, getting up occasionally to help them with something.

All three girls have been playing together quite well lately, and the battles of the wills seem to have mostly subsided with M&M. Especially since she has some new Disney Princess clothes that she really wants to wear, giving her the incentive to get herself dressed with no complaints. :)

It seems that once every few weeks or months one of the kids will decide to test the limits with everything for a few days or weeks, and when they find out we're still responding consistently they go back to their normal cheerful cooperative selves. It's frustrating and annoying when it happens, but it always passes.

It's a normal part of child-rearing, I think. Often it reveals something we need to change or tweak in our parenting or the household in general, and that growth is a good thing.

I have to remember to remind myself, "This is a test of the Emergency Behavior System. This is only a test."

DH and I were talking last night about possibly using minutes of computer game time and similar activities as something the kids can earn. The kids don't have much of a need or appreciation for money at this point, but they do love playing their learning-to-read and beginning math games on the computer. DH and I are thinking of coming up with a system using play money or some other currency to symbolize minutes of computer and video-watching time, that they can earn or lose by their chores, behavior, etc.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

hope you get to feeling better soon- at least the girsl seem to be cooperating with recuperation.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

"This is a test of the Emergency Behavior System. This is only a test."

Beautiful!

I hope you're feeling better soon. Leave the poor sweetie to sleep.

3:15 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Bridget and Liz. I did end up letting her sleep as long as she wanted. She's already acting like she's ready for bed at 7, after two naps today. She may fall asleep in the car when we go to pick up DH.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well--hope the appointment offered some relief today. I'm sure an assortment of aches & pains doesn't help you to get a good night of sleep, either. :\

I like the idea of play money for computer time rewards. When our son (4.5 y/o) has a meltdown, we do take his computer time away, but I hadn't thought about using something as visual as play money. Or using it as a reward. Great idea!

And by the way, kids going through testing-phases must be universal. Ours does the same thing every now and then, and it can be a maddening few days when he does. I like your "test of the emergency behavior system," too. Teehee!

7:19 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Jamie. I can't really tell whether I feel better or worse after the PT today, but the pain does seem to be subsiding.

I do think kids going through testing phases is pretty universal. :)

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home