Saturday, June 24, 2006

Mission: Curriculum--Accomplished!




We accomplished a lot at the curriculum fair today. DH and the kids ended up going along for the first part and helping pick out the math curriculum, and then Mom and I shopped for the rest.

I got some great deals in the used curriculum sale and then supplemented with some new books from the vendors' displays. My mom decided to give the kids a "grandma scholarship" to help pay for their first year's schoolbooks, so that was really wonderful. It was so helpful to have her expert opinion on all the different books, too.

I got mostly K-4 level books for MM and some K-5 for AJ, with some other Kindergarten books we can expand on for both girls and a few 1st-grade books for AJ to use in a couple of subjects to round it out and adjust to their skill levels. Some things we'll do together but adjust slightly to fit their levels, and other things we'll have the girls do separately.

I'll tell more about the specific books we picked out later. I also bought a teacher's planner and some graphs to schedule out the lessons for each day, so I'll be going through that in the next few weeks and planning out our school year.

Now I'm tired and very sore. My back and neck are really feeling the effect of being rear-ended yesterday and then carrying around heavy books today.

It turns out that our bumper was significantly damaged in the accident yesterday after all--I discovered that when I opened the back doors of the van today. The whole bumper is tilted in and down, which makes it difficult for the door to open. Once the door was open, it was obvious that the bumper was hanging kind of loose and crooked. So we'll need to get an estimate on the repairs this week, too.