Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Keyboarding for Parents

Baby E has been fussy and fidgety this morning. I'm not sure whether it's her teeth or something else, but she doesn't seem to feel good.

She was making the "milk" sign repeatedly, so I sat down at the computer to feed her. First, though, I made sure to set the iced mocha smoothie I'd just made in a secure place on the desk, out of Baby E's reach. Or so I thought. The instant I sat down she made a grab with her foot, knocking it over right onto my keyboard.

###############

I caught it as quickly as I could, but not before half the contents of the large plastic glass were all over the keyboard, mouse, desk, carpet, my jeans, and even splashed on the monitor. I mopped up as well as I could, shook out the pulverized ice from between the keys, and am letting the keyboard dry upside down on a towel while I use DH's computer instead.

Now that Baby E has gotten proficient at using her feet to touch and grab things, I'm going to have to come up with new methods for sitting at the computer without letting her create havoc.

At the moment she's alternately using her left foot to try to type on the keyboard and to pat my arm. I'm attempting to type with Baby E in my left hand and her foot grabbing at/resting on/pushing/patting my right hand.

Somehow they don't teach these skills in typing/keyboard class. :)

----------

And now, a message from Baby E:

xkj

uih8y9uiuyhuhnbo9 cd9 //)?>>>>>>>>>>>>>A) xm nn,m,mz bv b
P7n vcvc c xcvcxvccfcdfd

Now she's throwing a huge tantrum because the computer isn't doing cool stuff like with the keyboard pounder. These letters and numbers appearing on the screen are no fun. She wants music! and flowers! and fish!