Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Doctor's Appointments

I'll have to make this post quickly, because Blogger has a scheduled outage soon.

Yesterday Baby E and I both had doctor's appointments. Hers was just to follow up on the reactions to soy she's had lately--she'll have her 1-year checkup the middle of August.

#######################

Dr. B. checked Baby E over, ascertained that she does not have an ear infection and guessed (as I had thought) that her reaction to soy might include itchy ears, and recommended a couple of allergists he said were the best in the area. So that was good. I thought it was funny that he wrote down the two allergists' names on a paper towel.

My appointment was a little less satisfactory. After having to wait several weeks in order to get a longer appointment, I waited almost an hour to have maybe a 10-minute appointment. This "long appointment" was shorter and less involved than the "short" 15-minute appointments I'd had with the physician's assistant already.

The doctor seemed quite unconcerned about any of the symptoms I described, with what almost seemed to me like a "so WHY are you here taking up my time?" type of attitude. He said mostly "mmm-hmm," asked very few questions (and asked some of those multiple times because he forgot the answers), and basically rushed me out the door.

He did say that I was probably just having a fibromyalgia flare-up caused by the car accident. I know that's part of it, but as I reminded him, some of this was going on long before that. My weight does seem to have stabilized, so that's good.

His only suggestion was that I consider going on Prozac "just to see if it helped" the symptoms I've been having, even after I told him I didn't think depression was the issue. Just because I had a baby within the last year and am having problems with fatigue and difficulty sleeping doesn't automatically mean I'm suffering from postpartum depression--especially since (especially when I am well-rested and not sick) I'm generally pretty happy.

He did send me to the lab to have some tests done, including checking thyroid levels and kidney function. I'm not sure what else--he didn't explain what tests he was going to have done and I'm not sure if he would have done those two if I hadn't specifically asked for them. Oh, yes, he did say he was going to check for anemia also.

Anyway, that's that for now.

Baby E's sleep schedule has been disrupted again and she's not sleeping well at night or napping during the day. She seems miserable often, though she is doing better this week than she was last week. I don't know if it's teething, new food allergies cropping up, the fact that she's still not quite over her cold, or what.

Hopefully she'll start feeling better and we'll get back on track soon. She is eating much better the last few days, though.

The other two girls are doing great, and we got to spend some time with my Sis J last night, which was wonderful.

9 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I was thinking about you today while I was sitting in our allergist's office, and hoping that you all get the best of care when you go.

I hope your personal doctor is more competent than his people skills would lead you to believe.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

What PS said.

Big hugs and good wishes for better health for you and your sweet Baby E.

8:03 PM  
Blogger KLee said...

After all that fuss to get that appointment, and he ruses you in and out like an assembly line? What a jerk.

Sorry he has an awful bedside manner.

Hope Baby E is feeling better and better, and NO MORE REACTIONS!

Can't believe she'll be a year old in about two weeks! Time flies SO fast!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey PK, sorry to hear about that doc....but did he even say ANYTHING about checking your thyroid??? Now, I know you think it's not depression, but I'm saying this next bit, b/c if HE thinks it's depression, I'd think he would have covered this: Every woman I know (including myself) who's had a possible bout with depression has been ordered a thyroid screen, b/c apparently thryroid problems can masquerade as depression - that, and with weight and fatigue problems, I'd really be zeroing in on that little gland, as it is the controller of such things!

6:34 AM  
Blogger ccw said...

Sorry the doctor did not treat you respectfully. I absolutely hate when a doctor acts as if I am taking up his time.

I hope that you and Baby E feel better and stay well.

11:38 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much, everyone.

He probably was going to order a thyroid screen anyway . . . he didn't mention running any tests until I asked about it, but as several mentioned it was probably more a poor bedside manner (and the fact that he was using my appoinment to try to catch up from being an hour behind) more than true incompetency. That's my expectation, anyway.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I know this is a little late in coming and little off the wall but I've been interested in Prozac lately and remember reading something on your blog... I seem to have a lot of friends with anger problems or lots of anxiety and I just learned that two different friends (who previously admitted to anger problems) went on antidepressants recently by psychiatrists suggestions! One friend described to me how anger and depression are related... here's a website to explain: http://health.ivillage.com/mentalhealth/mhaggression/0,,c5,00.html

I'm also trying to learn about different panic disorders b/c I feel like my DH is more reactive than normal and I've noticed some unusual patterns about his decisions. We're going to counseling again over the in-laws and he won't find out about this wild idea until thursday. (chuckle) I've been telling him to "chill out" a lot recently. :-P I just thought I'd make a note of this here to give you food for thought as I'm guessing Prozac may not only be for depression but something like anger or elevated feelings of tension... here's a quick website I found relating fibromyalgia and anxiety: http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_other_common.html

I'm not encouraging you to take Prozac though! Although... my friend said antidepressants tend to make you gain weight! ;-)

TAKE CARE, Colleen

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just read how Prozac increases the brains supply of seratonin: http://www.prozac.com/how_prozac/how_it_works.jsp?reqNavId=2.2

The previous website I gave you about the symptoms of fibromyalgia being anxiety, panic, etc. mention seratonin balance in the brain, too. I have to admit I was kind of surprised when I read that your doctor suggested Prozac b/c it's always been a message of "chill out" when I've heard people joke about it! (I hope you don't take offense at these comments.)

Colleen

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, one more thought - I've noticed that when I walk and get (extended aerobic) excercise in the morning, I have a "feel good" feeling all day... a friend comes over so we can walk before the kids wake up and I go to Defined Fitness and drop the kids off at day care for a swim and dip in the hot tub sometimes. I've had three periods of regular walking with friends since Roo was born and each time I've noticed the same thing - the first time, I thought it was because I had made a real friend and b/c it was exciting how much we had in common! You haven't mentioned excercise much as part of your lifestyle and I would consider this the natural way to elevate seratonin or whatever it is excercise does to make us feel so good. -C

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home