Sunday, July 09, 2006

July 9th weekend notes

Well, everyone here seems to be feeling significantly better. The kids are hardly coughing at all now.

I did find out for sure tonight that if I eat dairy products they give Baby E a bit of a stomachache--we had fondue made with sheep's milk cheese tonight. Nothing that some simethicone drops didn't quickly remedy, though.



I listed a couple of eBay auctions today, and will probably list a few more summer items this week before it gets too close to the fall selling season.

Now, to decide whether to sell the girls' flower girl dresses or keep them in case we need white dresses for another occasion?



I have, however, decided that after these Hanna Andersson clogs are gone I'm not going to bother with selling shoes any more--they're more difficult to pack up than they're worth, unless they're really something special. I prefer items like clothing that I can just put in a Tyvek envelope and drop in the mail box--no packing peanuts or bubble wrap to buy and no having to find the right size box.

I'm also pretty sure that I am going to go ahead and try to sell the Cavalli leather suit myself on eBay. I'll probably list it after labor day or sometime in September.

Yesterday I went back to the Goodwill outlet and got some things to recycle for making diapers and diaper covers.

##############################

I'm going to experiment with using wool and polyester fleece as a waterproof layer and silk as a wicking stay-dry liner. I use fabric with high cotton content for the absorbent part of the diapers. At 99 cents a pound, I got some great finds--clothing items, bedding and fabric yardage. A few of them turned out to be too nice to cut up once I got home and looked up the brands to see what they were.

The mold and dust from the thrift store and the musty fabric really gets to me, so I'm trying to get everything washed up as quickly as possible. It's fun to see how much the wool shrinks when I felt it by washing and drying on hot.

Last night I had a fabulous time playing with fire, learning how to do a flame test to identify unknown fabric content. I picked the threads apart in some scraps and learned that one piece of fabric I had was a cotton/polyester blend, and another was cotton with what I think is a touch of spandex. Now I think I'll be able to at least tentatively recognize them by sight and feel if I can look at the slightly raveled edges of a piece of fabric in a store.

I can tell the difference pretty easily between natural and synthetic fibers, and between plant, petroleum, and animal fibers, but beyond that it gets a bit harder.

The girls, DH and I have been working on getting the school area set up. We have the girls' desks all cleaned up and arranged now, with their crayons, notebooks, etc. in them. The girls have been enjoying painting and doing little projects at their new desks. Even Baby E sits in her high chair and scribbles with crayons.

I have a physical therapy appointment in the morning, and then the receptionist said I should be able to get a walk-in appointment with the physician's assistant about my back. It is doing a little better yesterday and today, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

Glad to hear that your back is feeling better.

So, what was the final estimation the Cavalli people gave you on the outfit that you have? I remember that you were disappointed in the figure they finally said was the approximate range, but beyond that, I don't remember. How much will you try to get for it on eBay?

I'm sorry that Baby E had an upset stomach with the cheese, but at least it wasn't a major reaction. I hope that she "grows" out of some of her triggers when she's a bit older. I only wish I'd outgorwn my allergy, instead of it being adult-onset.

When are you planning to start school?

2:08 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Klee, thanks for your post. I don't remember what the estimate on the Cavalli was for sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now LOL, but I think it was a few hundred dollars--low enough that the auction house fees and other expenses would eat up a significant chunk if I sold it that way.

We'll probably start school sometime in August, or possibly the first part of September if it takes me that long to get ready.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home