Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Just some random rambling again . . .

After the girls finished their chores yesterday morning, they helped me unload the dishwasher and I paid them.

They were so excited to count out their money (AJ practiced counting by tens with the four dimes) and "buy" the container of baby food. Just for the record, it was a fairly large container of prunes and apples, not something yucky. :)

I divided it up for them in two empty baby food jars and gave them baby spoons to eat it with. They kept saying things like, "Mmmm, mmm, this is so yummy. I like this baby food." with every bite. They seemed to think it was well worth the cost.

M&M, in particular, has decided that baby food is her favorite thing to eat and asks for it constantly. That's why I felt a need to impose some sort of natural limit on it.

##########

I did get to see my chiropractor yesterday, finally, and will be going in twice a week for the foreseeable future. She seemed surprised at how badly my back and neck, but especially the rib, was out, and kept saying "Oh, my, look at that. Ouch. No wonder you're hurting!" It's nice to finally be getting treatment for it that should help, even though it makes me more sore in the short-term.

A few days ago I called to ask my doctor about getting something I can actually take for my back pain, just to get me through those first few chiropractic treaments while it gets worse before it gets better.

They eventually said they'd have to see me again (for the same thing I've seen him several times for already, with the same recommendation that I just take more Advil as a result each time, entailing yet another office visit and doctor bill) before he could recommend or prescribe anything. By then I'll be past the current need for it, anyway.

But in the process I got my first actual recommendation from a doctor (okay, actually from the advice nurse who had just talked to the doctor) that I consider weaning Baby E. Because, you know, it's just so much work for the nurse to ask my primary care doctor to suggest a pain reliever that doesn't contain corn or soy, or to simply write a prescription for Ibuprofen so I could take it to a compounding pharmacy myself to have something made allergen-free.

It would be so much easier for them if I would just go ahead and wean my child. Grrr. The AAP recommends breastfeeding until the baby is at least a year old, but preferably until age two, so I was suprised that a doctor would recommend weaning a barely-1-year-old for a minor reason.

I've never nursed a baby past a year before, so I'm treading what is (for me) uncharted territory, and running into new challenges with nursing. But I want to nurse Baby E as long as possible--mainly because of her allergies, not just in spite of them. It's worth the sacrifices to me. I can be sure it's allergen-free excellent nutrition, she likes it, and according to studies breastfeeding can lower a child's tendency toward allergies. I'm not about to wean her for my doctor's convenience.

/End rant. :)

Our van is in the shop getting a bumper replacement. The best part is that we get to drive a lovely new Jeep Grand Cherokee rental paid for by the at-fault driver's insurance, and it's so much fun to drive and ride in. I especially like the feature of having doors on both sides--it makes putting kids in and out of the vehicle so much easier.

I've got batches of beef, chicken and vegetable broth condensed and chilled now, and am working on freezing them into cubes to use as bullion. We're up to 7 main dishes as well as quite a number of other meal components in the freezer now.

So far, every meal I've made has been well-liked by my family even though they've all been new recipes--quite a feat, considering that my usual success rate with trying new recipes is somewhere in the 25-40% range. The most amazing happening was that I even managed to find a spaghetti squash recipe that everyone--including the avid squash-haters in the family--really liked. I'll post that later today.

Right now we're all doing morning chores, and then we get to go shopping in the rental SUV. We're enjoying each other, still getting more sleep, and getting some important things accomplished.

Baby E just fell asleep for a late-morning nap, so I'll get to take a shower. I'm going to try waking her up after an hour or so because yesterday she took a 3-hour nap at 11 a.m. and then thought bedtime was a second nap. I've tried cutting her down to just one nap, but she really seems to still need that second nap. Hopefully with a shorter morning nap and an earlier afternoon nap she'll be ready for bed by 9 again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

that's crazy about the weaning- so many times when i've read your allergy woes i've thought to myself, thank goodness she is still nursing and getting some guarenteed good nutrition since it's so limited in teh solid food area.
good news on other fronts though, eh? Silas is finally napping twice a day predictably and sleeping well at night again. Guess that means it's time to fly through 6 time zones and screw us all up again!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike's Drugs on Mill Plain Blvd compunds some of their own medicines still.
You might be able to find out from them how to go about getting some made up you can have. If you need a doctor's prescription they can probably tell you how to go about that. They are very helpful.

3:47 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Bridget, I've thought the same thing . . . at least I know she's getting something good to eat! I'm glad to hear Silas is napping better, too, and hope it continues.

Thanks, Grandmac. I called them and they said they can compound some things for me with a prescription. That's great news--I thought I'd have to go out of state to find a compounding pharmacy.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home