Thursday, August 17, 2006

I (Heart) My Pediatrician

Baby E had her one-year well-baby check today, with Dr. B, the man who was my pediatrician as a child and is now seeing Baby E. I took along all the vaccine inserts and printouts from the CDC with the corn and soy ingredients highlighted, along with the 5 pages of printouts of the various names corn and soy can masquerade under. Every brand of every vaccine appears to have corn and/or soy in it, as far as I can tell, so I wanted to ask him about that.

Dr. B. actually looked at them. He listened carefully and considered. Then he said that he didn't think we should give her the vaccines that have corn and soy in them. But he didn't stop there; no he didn't stop there. He thought, and he brought an idea to bear. (Hmmm, can you tell my kids are watching a Dr. Seuss video while I'm typing?)

Anyway, Dr. B said that there's a new vaccine manufacturer coming into the market, that's going to be cleared with the FDA soon. He's going to check with them to see whether their vaccines contain corn or soy derivatives or not.

He apparently really keeps up with the research and the new things coming out on the market, as well as all the information on more established things. He seems so knowledgeable about everything from the various vaccine efficacy rates to what tests and symptoms would point to celiac. He often mentions studies and statistics offhand, as though he's thoroughly familiar with the research and other information related to pediatrics.

#########################

He took all the information I had printed out, and is going to do his own research to try to find out if there are any vaccines that would be safer to give Baby E.

That really means a lot to me that he's willing to put that much effort into one patient. He obviously likes his job (he must have told me at least 3 times how beautiful Baby E is), takes it seriously and is good at it.

I asked about Baby E's lack of weight gain, and he said that she seems healthy and that the combination of her diet and her food allergies could easily account for it. As I thought likely, he expects that once she's been corn-free for a while she'll probably gain more weight. She's not dropping off the charts or actually losing weight, so it's nothing to be too concerned about at this point. He said she doesn't present like a child with celiac, even though the clinical presentation can vary a lot. But if we decide to rule it out since it runs in the family he told me what to make sure she gets tested for.

It's so nice to have a pediatrician I feel comfortable with and can trust. I feel encouraged and reassured when we come out of an appointment with him, rather than just feeling discounted or brushed off.

I think we'll keep this one. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

I got the 'warm fuzzies' just reading this. You are definitely lucky. He's a keeper. :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

What dani said.

Hugs!!!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is great!
He is the one who actually thought there might be something wrong with how A's eyes worked, even though regular eye tests came out alright and sent us to the eye doctor who was the best and helped get A where she needed to be to go through vision therapy. :-)
We obviously didn't have him when you had muscle spasms. :-(

10:37 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Dani and Liz. I just hope he'll be around until my kids are grown up!

Grandmac, I'd forgotten he was responsible for making sure A got her eyes taken care of. That's great!

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home