Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Recent Kid Quotes

M&M: When I grow up, I think I'll marry Daddy.

[Chuckle] You can't marry Daddy--he's already married to me. Besides, people can't marry their daddies.

M&M: Okay, Mommy. Then I guess I'll marry you.

Another day:

AJ: Mommy, you seem a little grouchy today. I think you need a nap. When we get home, we'll let you take a nap, okay?

-----

I was able to confirm that it was the goat milk yogurt Baby E was reacting to yesterday. Just three or four spoonfuls this morning brought about the same reaction, except that this time she was fussy and had a lot of stomach pain in addition to the diarrhea. She wanted to nurse a lot until it got out of her system . . . interestingly enough, on the days she hasn't had any reactions she's nursed much less lately.

I called the distributor (Trader Joe's) to ask if there was any possibility there could be corn or soy in the yogurt. The nutritionist at TJ's was very helpful and is going to try to track down information from the manufacturers of all the ingredients, including (her idea) what kind of food the goats are eating, and whether it contains soy or corn.

I guess it makes sense that if soy and corn transfer through my milk and bother Baby E, then it might do so in cow's or goat's milk also. If there isn't any soy or corn in the yogurt, I think we can be pretty sure that it's the milk itself that's bothering her.

If it turned out (by some slim chance) that she doesn't actually have a problem with milk, but that something the goats ate was bothering her, I think we'd just have to stay away from dairy products anyway . . . it's too hard to know what an animal has been eating.

Baby E is still sleeping better, and she's been in an even more than usually good mood the last few days. That's very encouraging . . . it makes me feel like all the trouble is worth it.

Also, I managed to find a brand of in-the-jar baby food (Organic Baby) that has citrus-derived vitamin C instead of corn-derived. I had nearly given up on finding one. That made my day. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

It has got to be SO frustrating to have to do all that research just to get poor Baby E stuff she can eat without a reaction. I was telling a friend just today about how corn hides in so many products, and I would have never known that if you hadn't told us.

I also use that argument on Offspring, because she HATES corn. I point out to her the corn in all the things she loves, and it totally messes with her head. Hey -- a Mom's gotta get her licks in where she can, you know! :)

Hope you can track it all down, and that Baby E can get some relief soon!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Goodness! That is frustrating! I hope you guys have some sucess with finding out.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

LOL at the quotes....they come up with some good stuff eh?

As for the food stuff - you are a SAINTED mother for all of this; honestly I do not know how you are doing it!

(hugs)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Your kids are so adorable. I'm thinking of you every day and hoping the struggle to find things for Baby E to eat will become easier.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home