Tuesday, October 24, 2006

New Allergies

Well, the allergy testing today held some surprises, to say the least.

Baby E did not test sensitive to any of the gluten-containing grains. The allergist said that if she continued seeming to have problems with those grains, we should suspect a gluten intolerance. She said we were wise to do the celiac testing.

Baby E did, however, test positive to some new foods we hadn't tested for in the past. The most allergenic was banana. Yes, banana.

Probably she became sensitized to it because we've given her so much of it the past few weeks. In other words, I gave her so much banana that she developed an allergy to it.

So much for the elimination diet being a good idea.

#####################

We didn't test for any of the other 5 foods, so I don't know whether she has developed allergies to them also. I've noticed several times this week that she seemed to get sick immediately after eating even when there's no gluten in the meal.

I was just telling DH last night that it seems her stomach is so sensitive now that no matter what she eats it makes her stomach hurt, because even bananas seemed to bother her now. Ugh.

She also tested allergic to oats and borderline sensitive to mushrooms and apples. I wish we'd gone ahead and tested pears and broccoli, but I never expected she would be allergic to bananas and apples.

Adding apples, bananas and oats to the list of foods we have to avoid significantly lessens our already-meager choices when it comes to shopping. Mushrooms won't be too hard--especially since we were already avoiding them on suspicion that Baby E didn't tolerate them well.

I don't know what to do now. I guess we'll try to get as much variety of foods we think are safe into her diet as possible, and try to rotate foods in and out so we can pinpoint any new reactions.

I'm just not sure what we're going to eat.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your closing statement was to the POINT! WOW. Gosh, can't there be something else going on? I know there's a pattern to her reactions but how about a tumor, hernia... I don't know? Couldn't they do some x-rays of her digestive system? I think they use some sort of fluid the child drinks to coat it with first - my friend had it done b/c her daughter has reflex and it was pretty interesting. The fasting before-hand may not be worth it though.

That is SO frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colleen

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, PK. I wish I could send you to my allergist when I go tomorrow.

5:21 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks.

5:54 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Colleen, they will probably end up doing an endoscopy, where they go in and look at her intestines, to rule out celiac.

I highly doubt a tumor or hernia would cause a skin test to read positive for food allergies.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to add one thing more thing to your list, but watch out for latex allergies. Those who are allergic to bananas and avacadoes are more likely to be allergic to latex.
I can't imapgine the frustrations your feeling right now.

On a total side note, I grew up eating lamb's liver and love it. Never ate lamb's tongue, but I have eaten cow tongue. I also like Lamb "sweet bread" or "mountain oysters" as they are sometimes called. I never new you were an adventerous eater!

A in PA

7:28 PM  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

PK, this must be incredibly frustrating when you have worked so hard to avoid foods she can't tolerate.

Would a nutritionist be helpful at this point? Does the allergist have any ideas for diet?

Good luck!!!

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A in PA, thanks . . . I have a latex intolerance or allergy, so I keep an eye out for that with Baby E as well.

How do you like to cook liver? I'm definitely an adventurous eater! I enjoy things like cattail tubers, fried grasshoppers, dandelion greens, and crawdads.

Rev Dr. Mom, yes it is very frustrating! I do have plans to consult a nutritionist, but I think we need to have a decent idea of what our dietary restrictions are before we can work up a good nutrition plan, KWIM?

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure feel for you. My friends would tease me unmercifully about my allergies. Luckily, my food ones are controllable fairly easily. I, too, am allergic to bananas, have intense environmental allergies, chemically sensitive, animals, etc.

I can't catch up on all your posts, but I wish you the very best in determing how to bring comfort to your children.
I just read you found a sitter. Good! My thoughts are with you.
Hugs

5:24 AM  
Blogger ccw said...

I'm so sorry! I wish you could pinpoint the problem so that things would be easier for your family.

Hugs!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PK, We always sauted in it butter with a littel salt and pepper. You don't want to cover up the delicious flavor! I haven't had any in a really long time. Liver Pate is really good too.
Dh likes dried grasshoppers from Mexico, and I think I've had crawdads. I've never had cattail tubers, I didn't even know you could eat them. Ostrich meat is really good and escargo tastes like scallops. I'd better stop, I have lists of foods I've tried, especially traveling to other countries. As long as it's not a "gross" food, I'll try it. My DH's aunt has eaten goat eyes. That's a little much for me.

have a great day!
A

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home