Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Home Safely

Well, we made it home safely.

AJ and M&M really are great travelers. Between reading, playing with dolls and coloring, they stayed happily busy for most of the trip.

Baby E fussed and whined and deigned to be entertained only if I was constantly changing the activity. She kept pulling me toward her and then in the next moment pushing me away and slapping annoyedly at me as if I were a mosquito. She especially didn't want me to lean forward at all, even to get something from the bag at my feet.

###################

What she really wanted was for me to take her out of the car seat and hold her, which of course I couldn't do. So she settled for my constantly having both hands engaged with her. It had to be both, of course--preferably one under her feet and one on her face or tummy.

She refused any food I offered her, especially anything containing rice, which she spit out if it did manage to get into her mouth. Finally she ate a few grapes, but she was clearly still hungry although she refused everything I offered.

After we got back into the USA, we finally found a grocery store that carries the one brand of lunchmeat (Hormel Natural Choice preservative-free turkey) that she can eat and seems to tolerate well. She ate almost half the package at once, and then a huge quantity of yogurt.

She did nap during the trip, twice.

By the time we got home she had a fairly severe bout of diarrhea.

It's so frustrating not to know whether it's a food allergy thing, a virus or something else that's bothering her.

In any case, she's finally asleep in her own bed now.

I'm headed to bed now, leaving many things undone. I have a doctor's appointment for myself and another appointment with an allergist for Baby E tomorrow.