Friday, November 17, 2006

Plugging Along . . .

This week has been good. Baby E hasn't gotten above a level orange all week. She's still having worrisome symptoms, but at least she's not miserable. She's having lots of happy moments and things have been relatively peaceful.

Last night we went to a gathering at a friend's house, to see some mutual friends who are home on furlough. My friend JT was the most thoughtful and considerate hostess ever. She made sure to vacuum really well in the room the kids would be playing in, and then told everyone to be sure not to bring any food into that room.

####################

We brought safe food for Baby E and me, and DH and I took turns keeping track of Baby E while everyone was eating, to make sure she didn't get any crumbs on her hands or in her mouth. JT even talked to everyone about washing their hands after eating before touching Baby E. It worked really well.

All three of our kids had a marvelous time, and Baby E didn't end up with any reactions. In fact, she was in the best mood during and after the party than she had been all day. I'm glad the outing was a success--maybe a few experiences like that will make leaving the house a little less stressful.

The biggest thing I'm struggling with this week is adjusting to the idea of cutting out another major food that's found in almost everything. I haven't even started researching it much yet, other than reading ingredient labels. I expect the list of products and ingredients that can be coconut-derived rivals the soy list, and perhaps even comes close to the corn list. I know all those sodium laurel/laureth sulfate-type ingredients in cleaning products, soaps and cosmetics are often coconut-derived.

It doesn't make sense, I know, but at this point I almost feel that I don't want to know. I find myself fluctuating between denial and despair if I think about it, so I've been trying to just not think about it. That doesn't make a lot of sense, I know--especially since I still feel like I'm having a fairly constant low-grade allergic reaction going on. Of course, with the number of known environmental allergies I have it's difficult to poinpoint a specific trigger.

I can't be sure, but it seems that my itchiness and other symptoms get worse every time I wash my hands. The soap, of course, has coconut derivatives. If I rub my eyes they itch and burn. So for now I'm just trying to use the soap as little as possible and rinse very well afterwards.

If I start having more really obvious and scary reactions to things with coconut derivatives, then I'll have to take it more seriously.

Meanwhile, I haven't washed my hair since I discovered the coconut allergy, because my scalp still itches and burns and all the shampoos in the house seem to have coconut derivatives in them. I had noticed quite some time ago that my shampoo was making my scalp itch, though I hadn't figured out why. Ever since I had constant eczema on my scalp as a child (until we cut out milk), my head seems to be the first place dermatological allergic reactions show up. I'm going to have to find some solution for that today, even if it just means rubbing baking soda and lemon juice in my hair and then rinsing it out.

Unfortunately, the fact that I had an anaphylactic reaction to coconut oil, which is likely to have extremely low levels of the allergenic proteins (although there are cases in the medical literature of anaphylactic reactions to coconut oil), probably means the sensitivity level is pretty extreme. Dermatological reactions to coconut derivatives in soaps, etc are actually much more common than reactions to ingesting coconut.

I wish I had an allergist I could trust to give some guidance about it. I think I'll make some phone calls about that today.

It's also becoming more urgent to see a nutritionist, I think, and figure out a plan for what we can eat that will meet our nutritional needs while being safe. However, since we still don't know for sure whether Baby E is going to be able to eat gluten or not, or if there are more allergies we haven't yet pinpointed, we don't really have all the information we need to make such a consultation effective.

13 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

I know you probably don't need more tasks/projects on your busy plate, what with all the other things you do, but have you thought about making your own soap and shampoo? It seems like the best way for you to know exactly what's in there. Same for cleaning products, I guess.

Feel free to ignore this well-meaning advice-- I came over here from the comments at Phantom's and just ache for you all. I can't imagine having to be that specific about my nutrition, much less my kids'.

11:29 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Jackie. I haven't really wanted to think about that yet, although another commenter (Amy) did sweetly send me some links to instructions for soap-making.

It's just so time-consuming and overwhelming making everything that goes in our mouths from scratch (I even have to make my own baking soda and squeeze fresh lemon juice).

I just can't face the idea of also having to make all our soaps, shampoos, cosmetics and cleaning prducts. I'm barely keeping my head above water as it is.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad uses a hypo-allergenic, fragrence-free soap called Basis. I don't know if it has coconut in it (there's an ingredient that say sodium cocoate, sounds dubious). But maybe there's a commercial soap out there somewhere. Baby shampoo? Neutragena? Something?

4:56 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz. I'll look into that one.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about tee tree oil? It has antibacterial/anitviral properties, although I don't know how well it would do with generic grease.

My sister used to (and may still) use a tea-tree-oil-based shampoo, though I don't know what the other ingredients may be.

And how do you make your own baking soda?

Amy

1:38 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Tea Tree oil would probably be okay. I did find some olive oil soap today, made by Kiss My Face.

I misspoke about the baking soda. I don't make baking soda.I make my own baking POWDER out of baking soda, arrowroot starch, and cream of tartar. There are instructions on Restricted Gourmet.

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Curly Girl" book recommends avoiding shampoos with sodium laurel sulphate and sodium laureth sulphate (too drying for curly hair, I think), and may list shampoos which don't have them in it. The "Naturally Curly" website lists some shampoos that don't have those ingredients, which are the ones you mentioned as having coconut (I don't know if they have other coconut ingredients, though).

The ones I saw mentioned (I searched for a bit) were Burt's Bees Grapefuit and Sugarbeet Shampoo, Burt's Bees Super Shiny shampoo, Freeman Pure Color Fresh Curl Shampoo (I'm guessing it may have coconut from the ingredients: Water (Aqua), Chembetaine C, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Myristamine Oxide, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, PEG 150 Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Jasminum Officinale Extract (Jasmine), Viola Odorata Extract (Violet), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Glycol Distearate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, PEG-6000 Distearate, Benzophenone-4, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Amyl Cinnamyl, Hexylcinnamal, Fragrance (Parfum)), and Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo (Main Ingredients: White Willow Bark extract, Honey, Wild Yam, Sage, Green Tea, Wheat Germ, Guar, Biotin (vitamin H) Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), and Sodium Myreth Sulfate). (The question is whether "sodium myreth sulfate" contains coconut.)

3:34 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much, Genevive. That's so sweet of you.

Unfortunately, almost all those ingredients are usually coconut-derived (and quite a few can come from corn and soy, too) . . . I counted at least 15 ingredients in that list that I know off the top of my head are usually derived from one of our allergens. :(

Glycerine, for example, is often made from coconut or palm oil, but can also be made from corn or soy oil. Tocopherols and Vitamin E are usually soy derived, Citric Acid is usually corn-derived, and almost every single one of the ingredients that doesn't list the plant source is from coconut, but many can also be made from corn or soy.

Here's an interesting list of the derivations of many of these chemicals and compounds.

Even the most of the Kiss My Face products use a lot of coconut and palm oil derivatives.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you gotten any answers about the coconut allergy? My son has developed one as well. I have started collecting names of coconut derivatives. I found some all natural coconut free shampoos today at http://www.bluehousesoaps.com/store/Default.asp. Only the haircare is coconut free at this point, though the owner e-mailed to tell me she was working on new formulations for toothpaste and soap. Check your toothpaste! ALL of the ones I have found have coconut derivatives.

This is my list so far:
Coconut derivatives
accobetaine
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
betain
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
caprylyl glycol
carsoanm
ceteareth - 20/ -4
cetearyl alcohol
Cetearyl Glucoside
Ceteth-20 Phosphate
cetyl acetate
cetyl alcohol
Cetyl Esters
cetyl palmitate
Cocamidapropyl Betaine
Cocamide MEA
coco betain
Cocoamphodiacetate
Cococaprylate/Caprate
cocoglucoside
Coco-Glucoside Sulfosucci
cocomide DEA
Coconut Oil
cocoyl amido b
Disodium Cocamphodiprop
disodium cocoamphodiacetate
Disodium Coco-Glucoside
Emusifying Wax
glucoside
Glyceryl Caprylate
Hexyl Laurate
lauramide DEA
lauric acid
lauryl glucoside
miranol ..IPA/TEA/C2MSF….
Octanediol
Olefin Sulfonate
PEG - 7 Glyceryl Cocoate
PEG -100 Stearate
PEG -100 
Phenoxyethanol
Phenoxyethanol
plantaren
Polysorbate 20
Sodium Cocoate
sodium cocoyl sarcosinate
sodium laureth sulfate
sodium lauroamphoacetate
Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinat
sodium lauryl sulfate
sodium methyl cocoyl taurate
Sorbitan Stearate
Stearyl Alcohol
stearyl alcohol
sucrose laurate
triethanolamine
Vegetable Cetearyl Glucos
Vegetable Glycerine

I am sure it is not complete.

Michelle

8:22 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much, Michelle!

About Blue house soaps . . . I contacted her and she was not able to find out what exactly the glycerine was made of. Glycerine can be made from just about any oil, including palm or coconut oil. The owner of Blue House soaps said she can just leave out things like that easily upon request.

Does your list include palm oil, or just coconut? I'd like to put together a web page similar to the corn allergen list about coconut. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like to talk about it more.

8:37 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Oh, BTW Michelle . . . I did find several kinds of tooth POWDER (as opposed to tooth paste) that seem to be free of all our allergens, including coconut. Or, you can just use baking soda or a baking soda/sea salt mixture.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this site really useful..my daughter is allergic to nuts, soy, coconut, egg....u have mentioned toothpowders without coconut/soy derivatives...could you please tell me what the brands are. thanks

8:27 AM  
Blogger Michal An Loh said...

1st off thanks to Michelle who posted the growing list of coconut. I have been no-pooing with baking soda and water for a few months now...ever since my scalp started to burn whenever I shampooed. I've had dermatitis and acne on my scalp and face for years and I have always experienced low level allergic reactions. I'm to the point that my doc suggested the no-pooing method. The only soap I can actually use is Olivella, which is 100% olive oil. It doesn't even have glycerin. From what I understand they leach out the moisture with lye and the solid olive oil block that forms is what I am using. I have even battled it out with the school that I work for because they told me I couldn't have my soap in the bathroom. I told them they could pay the hospital bills :o) I hope this helps you too. Honestly, this may be the most insideous allergy out there besides rosemary (which is also in everything on the store shelves in some form). Good luck!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home