Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sabbath Notes

  • I'm going through some of my old posts and my template adding "alt" tags to my photos and images. The goal is to make my blog more useful to people who are using web browsing formats that don't show pictures, or people who can't see the photos for one reason or another.

    Old posts may show up in feeds as new again as I go through and edit them. But then, if you read my blog in a feed you already know I'm a compulsive editor anyway.


  • #########

  • I've also turned off word verification for the time being.

    I'm getting tired of it on other people's blogs and my own. I'm always having trouble figuring out what the letters are supposed to be or having it think I typed the letters wrong even when I did it correctly. I think I'd rather clean up spam than annoy my friends.

    Life doesn't need any extra annoyances; even small ones. If the spam is too excessive I may turn it back on, but for now I'm taking it off.


  • Are there any other design flaws or barriers to accessibility I should know about, that I need to fix on my blog?


  • We finally got the meat we had purchased from a local farmer. The second-hand upright freezer we bought is now half-full of beef and lamb--steaks, roasts, chops and ground meat galore.


  • I'm going to cook some of those lamb chops for dinner tonight when the Miraclebaby family comes over. In, let's see, about two hours now.


  • I should really be cleaning my house right now, but I'm procrastinating.


  • Making these charts of Baby E's levels has been interesting. I've redefined them a little to get rid of the overlap, and have added some codes to cover other variables also.

    Having some objective criteria for what behavior fits into what level is really helpful. I can look at photos, blog entries and notes I've written, combined with my memory, and pretty reliably assign levels to various days.

    It makes me realize that I've somewhat redefined normal. For who knows how long now, a good day has been a day that Baby E cries a lot only if I'm not holding and entertaining her. That's become normal to me. I generally haven't considered it an actually bad day or a clear allergic reaction unless she was in a purple stage for at least an hour, usually more like three hours or more.


  • Does the purple stage sound like possible neurological symptoms (similar to what's described as a vaccine reaction to pertussis) to anyone besides me? Isn't inconsolable high-pitched persistent screaming and flailing for hours on end, and then zoning out, generally a cause for alarm, especially if it happens several times a month or several times a week? Or is this actually something normal?

    It's not the screaming that bothers me so much as the duration and intensity of it, the fact that it's so completely inconsolable, and the fact that she gets so unresponsive even when she's not screaming in connection with those episodes.

    Can I see a show of hands from people who have had their child display similar behavior?


  • I find myself wildly fluctuating between being on the verge of panic and wondering why nobody is seeing how sick Baby E is, and then thinking that of course this is all quite normal and that undue concern is, as a certain Hobbit might say, clearly an overreaction.


  • As the Irish say, "A man can get used to anything; even to being hanged."

    As Sis J says, "Redefining normal is helpful in order to cope with daily life, but not so helpful when talking to doctors."


  • Speaking of doctors, I'm both sad and kind of relieved to see that I'm not the only one who has had to deal with really strange clueless-type dismissive behavior from doctors lately.

    So sorry, Heather, and I'm frustrated and worried for you. But I must admit that I'm somewhat relieved to know it's not just me or something wierd about my personality that's causing this type of response from the medical community.


  • Finally, this weekend is National Donor Sabbath. In addition to my own mother, several bloggers I read have benefitted from organ donation.

    Please consider becoming an organ donor if you haven't already done so. Remember, if your family doesn't know and plan to honor your wishes, you aren't really an organ donor no matter what the card says. Be sure you talk to your family about it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but LG was a very fussy baby who needed constant physical contact, and was perfectly capable of long periods of high-pitched screaming if he didn't get what he needed. The difference, of course, was that he was my first, and I had the time to do what he needed. Frequently what he needed was to be carried in the sling in slow circles around the house while listening to music. This almost always calmed him. But, as I quickly learned when I tried to use the same technique on Baby Blue in her infancy, it was IMPOSSIBLE to reproduce once there was an older child to consider as well. I suspect that if LG had been a second child instead of a first born, I would have spent time asking myself some of the questions you've been asking about Baby E's health.

I don't know if Baby E is suffering from something that is as yet undiagnosed. From all you've said, it is certainly possible. But, thinking back about LG at that age, I have to agree with KLee that it is also possible that you have an intense, difficult child whose needs are very hard to meet while trying to care for your other children as well.

Either way, it's a tough, frustrating situation for you. Like KLee, I don't know how you manage to keep your head above water!

5:00 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Phantom Scribbler. If it is something like that, hopefully at least she'll grow out of it. I don't think that would explain the red and purple elvels, but I think it's probably quite likely that orange is a state that's somewhat normal for her.

How old was LG when he grew out of the more intense need to be carried and constantly calmed?

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that if it doesn't feel normal to you, you have to go with your instincts until you have confirmation that the health issues that run in your family have been ruled out.

I do think orange may be normal for her, though.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gut instincts and I think yours too, are saying to continue investigating anything at anytime that seems "not right" about your child. A parent's instinct is within us for a reason. I continue to hope your baby is well.

On a brighter note, I was not aware of this being Organ Donor Sabbath. Terrific idea! (I hope your mom is doing well.) I've been registered as an organ donor since I was a teen. To give the gift of life, in that way, or blood, platelets, or bone marrow (where I also urge registration), is a "given" to me.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LG was probably around 2.5 by the time he was totally over that phase. He was still napping draped across me almost until his second birthday.

4:38 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Liz and Silvermoon. The fact that she did have 6 days straight of green days makes me hope it is possible to see more of that. I of course don't expect green all the time, but a leetle bit more would be nice. :)

Phantom Scribbler, let's hope BAby E grows out of this within the next year. :) How did you get up the courage to have a second child?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done for the alt tags. I frequently complain to public information sites that don't have them and breech other accessibility criteria (in fact I whinged about it recently).

Regards - Shinga

1:39 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, Shinga. I was sputted by reading comments on several other blogs, including yours, to try to make my blog more accessible.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home