Sunday, December 17, 2006

Weekend Concerns

DH is at church, singing in both services this morning. I'm home with three sick kids--AJ and M&M have the virus that's been going around (I may be coming down with it too), and Baby E was miserable all night with an allergic reaction.

I wish I knew what Baby E has been reacting to. The reactions have been different each time, so I'm not sure if it's one thing or several things causing it. Last night her throat was so bad she was unable to nurse even though she wanted to, and she was occasionally gagging and choking even when she wasn't trying to eat or drink something. Her reflux, which had been mostly under control, got very severe. The reflux does seem to be at least partially allergy-related.

She had a rash, as has been happening a lot lately. Her ears, eyes and mouth were really bothering her. What started out as a little slit in her tongue turned into two white blisters a day or two ago, and by last night it was just one blister, but it was painful and bleeding.

She slept very little last night, poor thing.

I need to find out the exact ingredients of the Nystatin the naturopath had compounded, and call the comapny that makes the probiotic we've been using. I'm seriously considering cutting out all grains for a while, but I don't know what we'd eat. We're supposed to be completely avoiding all sugars and even avoiding most fruit for the first few weeks of the Nystatin treatment. Baby E doesn't eat vegetables well, and I can't feed her nothing but meat for several weeks. I don't know what to do, but we can't go on like this. She's had some kind of reaction every day for the last several days.

I think I'll take her to the doctor tomorrow and at least have her tongue looked at if she's not better.

My mother-in-law called this morning to say that DH's dad was on the way to the hospital in an ambulance. He injured his knee a day or two ago and it had gotten painful to the point that my father-in-law, the man who routinely has root canals with no anesthetic, was groaning in pain and asking to go to the hospital. He had been resisting the idea of going to the doctor until then. For him to decide to go on a Sunday morning when he was supposed to preach, he must really be in a lot of pain. Since she couldn't lift him and he couldn't get up, she called 9-1-1. The possibility of torn ligaments and an infection in the knee is a concern.

On a brighter note, my mom is doing better, Sis J got home from college last night, and Little Sister Sparrow did great on her sign language finals.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing on her tongue sounds like thrush, which is very weird because Nystatin is supposed to cure thrush, not cause it. Wonder if it's some kind of boomerang reaction?

Best of luck.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nystatin is a catch 22, It is supposed to cure yeast but is full of sugar itself. I wonder if yours has corn syrup? I agree with the thrush possibility. I;m surprised your natropath didn't tell you to use acidophilus. It is a natural occuring bacteria in the intestinal tract and when it gets out of wack you get canidida problem. YOu can buy it in a capsule form. I used to break them open and mix it with a little water to give to my son when we had severe thrush problems. My doc said to give him as much as I wanted to several times a day, you can't overdose on it. Nystatin didn't do anything for DS. Is she on the antibiotic as well? That can compound the yeast problem. Best of luck figuring out the problem.
Grapefruit seed extract might help if you can tolerate citrus fruits.

A in PA

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheat, barely, oats, rye and corn should be avoided with candida. Small amounts of white potato, spelt, quinoa and brown rice are okay. I use several products made with almond flour, which work nicely. I know you are dealing with multiple allergies but maybe some of these will work for you. Besides green apples and berries, all fruit should also be avoided. I agree that the blister on the tongue sounds like thrush. Feeding Baby E grains will only continue to feed the yeast and the problem will never go away. Colliodal silver, olive leaf extract, oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract can all help. S. boullardii, which is a strain from the yeast family but eats yeast has been used for a long time in Europe to treat candida and is now being introduced in the States. The product Florastor is s. boullardi. I know you mentioned that Baby E doesn't care for veggies but if taking her off the grains will improve her condition it may be worth it. And after a while she'll figure out that eating veggies is better than not eating. Plus it may only be temporary. After six months or so on a strict diet with antifungals her gut should heal and she should be able to reintroduce small amounts of whole grains into her diet.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of this, and I will be praying for you all!

6:54 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I responded to most of them in my next post I think.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home