Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Test Results

They told me to call today to find out the results of the biopsy. I made myself wait until 10 a.m. to call. The person who took the message told me to call back if I hadn't heard from them by midafternoon, and they would page the nurse.

I counted the minutes until 3:00 and called again. They paged the nurse. After 10 minutes with no answer, they paged the doctor. Still no answer.

So I left another message.

As I started writing this post, the telephone rang. It was the doctor.

She said the biopsy results were good. Everything looked normal. No damage to the esophagus or cilia at all. No evidence of damage from the food allergies or reflux, no sign of celiac disease.

Now we're just waiting on results from the stool samples. The nurse practitioner is out all this week unexpectedly. I'm supposed to call and talk to her early next week to see what comes next.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a case of "Nothing Bad Has Happened Yet"? Or can we breathe big sighs of relief?

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Normal sounds very good to me, no?

4:57 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

It's a very good thing that she has no damage to her esophagus and upper GI. It doesn't necessarily mean it will never happen, but it is a very good sign.

As for the celiac/gluten intolerance possibility, we'll probably do another trial of a gluten-free diet to see if the dramatic difference repeats itself or not. It's possible to be gluten-intolerant without actually having celiac disease, or to have celiac and still have a negative biopsy, especially in a young child.

I am hopeful at this point thatr just treating the known issues and taking our allergy caution levels up a notch will mostly or completely resolve things.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people with candida have gluten intolerance but not necessarily celiac. Perhaps a gluten free diet will only be needed until her gut wall heals up and then a more varied diet can be introduced.

Hope you all have a peaceful holiday!

12:39 PM  
Blogger V said...

Well sounds like good news so far! Just thought I'd let ya know I was thinking about ya.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a shame that you have to wait for those other results. Best wishes in the interim.

Shinga

7:30 PM  

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home