Friday, February 09, 2007

Kitchen Soup

AJ and I are supposed to go out for a mom-daughter "date" tonight, so I wanted dinner to be early. As soon as Baby E went down for a nap I got to work.

I was planning to make cauliflower soup. But the cauliflower had gone moldy.

In the process of getting the cauliflower out of the over-full refrigerator I knocked over the container of homemade chicken broth. The lid apparently wasn't sealed at all, because broth poured all over my shoes as the now-empty container landed upside-down on the floor with the lid several inches away.

############

My kitchen was a lake of chicken broth. It ran under the refrigerator and across the room. I threw down towels, wiped my shoes and enough of the refrigerator to be able to close it, and wanted to cry.

It's not like I can open another container of chicken broth from the pantry, or run out and buy some. I have to make my own. Really good chicken broth is a time-consuming process. The batch I spilled had simmered for 6 or 8 hours in the making.

I really didn't have time to mop the kitchen floor today. And I'm going to have to ask DH to help me move the refrigerator tonight, I guess.

My kitchen smells like basil and chicken soup, but there won't be any for us tonight. I don't know how I'm going to cook dinner (cook what for dinner?) and clean everything up adequately, and still be ready to leave at the planned time.

Worst of all, I am not sure how to clean my shoes. The broth really soaked deeply into them, amazingly quickly. They're my beloved ankle boots: real leather, high quality, classy and comfortable. I've had them for years, but they still polished up well. They're the nicest pair of shoes I've ever owned. Even at something like 75% off they were a splurge for me.

I haven't weatherproofed them for far too long, so the chicken broth soaked right into the leather. Some of the dye came off when I wiped them. I don't know much about caring for leather, other than that I should have oiled the shoes months ago when they started losing their finish.

Will they ever really come clean? Or will I go about with splash-marked shoes, smelling of spoiled chicken soup forevermore?

Labels:


9 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh dear. I was irritated today when my husband accidentally spilled a container of tomato sauce out of the refrigerator, but it didn't take 6 hours to make, and there was still enough left for dinner.

I'm so sorry about the lost broth, the floor, the dinner, the date, and the shoes!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

They say it is better to laugh than to cry, but sometimes it's better to cry first :) Hope you had a nice time with AJ anyway.

hugs, MD

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PK, that just bites. If by some accident of fate you are a tiny woman with enormous feet, I will put my size-9 new ankle boots in the mail for you at first light.

In fact, what size shoe do you wear? I don't know where you live but I am in shopping mall central and I see sales all the time. It is after all the end of the season and boots may very well be on sale. I mean, what if I'm in a store, and I hear some random pair of shoes whispering "Purple! Purple Kangaroo!"? Not knowing your size would force me to make a fool out of myself looking through all the aisles.

I could send you my cat to help lick up the spill? I'm sure the resulting allergic reaction would keep you from smelling any soup residue on your soggy footwear. Take care, dear. Tomorrow will be a better day, and if it's not, it's at least one day closer to a better day.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep forgetting to link my name here so I don't look like some anonymous blog stalker!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Oh, PK. I'm sorry.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

Oh PK. Aren't you a size 9, though? I think you said once that you wore the same size as me, and I'm an 8.5/9.

I'm so sorry.

9:59 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Phantom, thanks. Tomato sauce is one of the worst things to clean up, though!

Mama duck, AJ and I ended up postponing our date and are going to go today instead.

Debbies, you are so sweet . . . and you made me laugh. Always a good thing. :)

I wear between a size 8 and 9, depending on the shoe size, but my feet are oddly-shaped and hard to fit. I always have to try on tons of shoes before I find one that's reasonably comfortable, so I can't just order shoes online or anything.

It's not that I don't have other shoes or can't get new ones . . . I'm just rather attached to these ones. I think they're going to be okay, though.

Thanks, Liz and Jane. *waving*

11:42 AM  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

PK, you can't seem to catch a break these days! I hope things take an upward swing soon!

And if you wipe the boots with a damp cloth inside and out, and let them dry and then polish them, they should be okay. I know what you mean about being attached to something like that!

1:07 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks RevDM. Thankfully none of the soup actually got inside the boots. I'll try cleaning them up and weatherizing them soon.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home