Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Test Results and Cavities

Baby E's ImmunoCAP IgE blood test came back negative for everything. We had tested about 40 foods, including the 10 she has had positive skin pricks or severe obvious reactions to.

Even her overall IgE was low. I don't know how that can be possible, but there it is. I had hoped that would be a big help in figuring out which foods she was reacting to. I guess we're left with elimination and food challenges.

#################

Even though it's been proven multiple times that she does react to foods, and despite the positive skin-prick tests, this latest result is a little crazy-making. I know there's a chance of a false negative, but on everything? How can that be?

The nurse who called said that the test results meant Baby E's reactions weren't IgE regulated. I'm sure some of them aren't, but what of the times she gets rashes, itching, stomach pain, diarrhea, facial swelling, etc. within minutes of eating something? Wouldn't that have to be IgE regulated?

What is going on here? I would expect some false positives or false negatives on SOME of the tests, but on all of them? These tests are supposedly in the 90% and up range of accuracy for a negative. I wonder what the allergist is going to say. I know what the other allergist would say . . . he would insist that her issues aren't actually related to what she's eating at all.

I think I'm going to ask him about helping us do food challenges on some of the things we suspect or are not sure about.

I do have to wonder if maybe some of this actually isn't caused by food. After all, with the prevalence of corn or soy we could probably find some way she was exposed to it on any given day. Is it possible we could be blaming things that aren't related on those exposures? I don't think so, but it is a possibility I try to be aware of.

Like I said, it's crazymaking.

AJ had her first dental appoiment this morning. 5 cavities. Five. All between her teeth. I should have taught her how to floss sooner. Poor little bug. I hate having fillings, and I'm so sorry she's going to have to go through that.

I feel it's my fault for not taking better care of her teeth. I've had them brush regularly since they first got teeth, but I've only been starting to teach them how to floss in the last week or two. We're going to go and buy some kids' floss helpers for the girls to use.

I think I'll have DH take her to the appointment. I don't know if I can stand to watch her get the novocaine shot and have her fillings done.

On top of that, I burned her last night. I'd gotten the rice crackers out of the oven and was taking them off the cookie sheet. I thought AJ was well out of the way, but then she decided to lean really close to me and reach her hand out. She bumped the top of her hand right into the hot pan. It's not a severe burn, but I feel terrible about it.

She keeps telling me that I should have been more careful and should have not had the pan so close to her, to which I tell her again that I'm sorry. I thought I was being careful, but obviously not careful enough.

We did do some school yesterday after Baby E went down for her nap, which meant that no dinner got cooked. There were a few scattered leftovers from various meals, so we ate those as a late supper.

Baby E does seem to be feeling better today. I plan to do some schoolwork with the kids, try to do a bit of housework, and run an errand at some point. Today I'll try to start cooking dinner before lunch, as I often do. It's more likely to be ready at a reasonable time that way.

Labels: , ,


3 Comments:

Blogger my4kids said...

Gee, purple that is frustrating. I know kind of what you mean though when we did the IgE testing on Kenzie I was postitive it would come back with something. I mean wiht her stomach pain and rashes she gets on her face after eating I was really surprised. The doctor said he didn't think she would show as allergic to the skin testing if it came back all negative on the IgE test so I guess I still need to figure that out. We are doing some elimination in Kenzies diet right now for dairy to see if that helps. I wish you luck on the allergy thing I really hope it doesn't set you back any

12:09 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Please do NOT feel guilty about the cavities. For one thing, while brushing helps prevent cavities, cavities are caused by naturally occurring bacteria in our mouths. Some mouths have more active bacteria than others and even brushing 6 times a day wouldn't keep them from being active. Also, what Madeleine said about some teeth not being completely enamelled in the first place. Sealants will definitely help that.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ohh goodness how frustrating! That is sooo frustrating!!! I hope that you can find the cause SOON! how utterly frustrating!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home