Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Too bad it's only once a year

Yesterday the girls and I drove to a neighboring state to find a grocery store I'd heard was the place to get Kosher food in the area. We went to visit my friend JT afterwards, since she lives over that direction. That was a lot of fun.

The trip was a great success. The store had quite a variety of Kosher for Passover items, almost all kitniot-free. Kitniot-free is a big deal for us, because it means that the food can have no trace of soy or corn, among other things. It was amazingly easy to find foods free of all our allergens.

###########################

Most of these products are available only for a few week around Passover, and aren't produced the rest of the year.

I was so excited to find such a variety of foods and other household items we can use. Things like single-serving juice for the kids, ketchup, soda pop, breakfast cereal, candles, toothpaste, dish soap, potato chips, candy, pickles, marshmallows, canned goods and juice. I was especially excited about the ketchup and pickles. They're made with no vinegar at all, either apple or corn, so I'll be able to eat them for the first time in ages.

And the mixes! Cake mix, muffin mix, pancake mix and more. I thought I'd never be able to cook from a ready-made mix again. They were expensive, so I just bought a few for special occasions. The potato stix and the Crispy-O's cereal were the main things I bought quite a few of.

I even found some soups and pre-made meals we can have. You have no idea of the excitement and the feeling of luxury--to actually be able to eat food that someone else cooked! Hooray!

The store has a Kosher meat counter and a Kosher deli, and carries a lot of meats and other products that are Kosher for Pesach year round. That means I can get lamb, beef and free-range chicken that I can trust. Much of it is less expensive than the local butcher, and, unlike the meat in stores closer to home, the beef and lamb is grass-fed. We still have about a quarter to a third of the meat we bought from a local farmer in our freezer, but once that runs out the Kosher meat counter is going to be quite a boon.

The store didn't have some of the baking supplies I was hoping to find, such as vanilla, baking powder, white distilled vinegar, flavoring extracts and food coloring. But I found a lot of things. We've been sampling them over the last two days, and most of them are really good.

Baby E's favorite thing so far has been the juice. She is just beside herself with excitement that there are little squeeze packets of juice with little bitty straws, like she sees other kids drinking, and she can have them! The straws seem to be narrow enough to avoid causing aspiration issues, and Baby E loves them. I was a bit nervous giving her the juice because it contains ascorbic acid, which is normally something grown on corn that causes reactions for her. But she drank the whole packet and she didn't even get slightly red cheeks--amazing!

It was amazing to actually have so much selection that I couldn't buy everything they had that was okay for us. Usually when I find something ready-made that we can have, it's such an unusual event that I buy whatever it is. There's never more than a handful of available options to choose from.

I filled two shopping carts to overflowing with a year's supply of OU-P foods. The girls were getting tired and a bit whiny toward the end, but it helped that people kept stopping to talk to them.

I was so impressed with the other people that were also shopping in the Kosher for Passover sections. Most of them seemed to know each other and would stop to greet each other and chat. Many of them said hello to us and asked where we were from, since they didn't recognize us.

They were so very warm and friendly--happy to answer questions, engage us in conversation, and quick with offers of help. Even when they found I wasn't Jewish, they were sympathetic and eager to make suggestions for finding foods free of corn and soy, explain symbols on the packaging, and help me learn how to pronouce words like Ashkenazic and kitniot.

I tend to feel a kinship with Jewish people, because--at least from my perspective--we worship the same God, we read the same Torah, and our faith shares the same roots. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are the forefathers of my faith too, even though I'm not descended from them by blood. I grew up on stories of the prophets and heroes like Joshua, Samuel, and David, and strong women worthy of emulation like Ruth, Esther and, of course, the woman described in Proverbs 31.

My Lord was a Jew, and His message and salvation came first to the Jew, and then to the Gentile. The New Testament speaks of those Gentiles who follow Christ as having been adopted or grafted in to the family of God's children. The Jews are God's chosen people, but we get to share in that heritage by His grace.

I'm afraid this must be highly offensive to those Jewish people who do not believe Jesus is the Messiah--the fact that I feel I have a kinship with them because of my faith. It must be a bit awkward to have someone feel such a brotherhood when, from your perspective, it's worse than non-existent. To them, I'm sure it seems a blasphemy. To me, the thought of sharing such a widespread and diverse family community is a lovely one.

Labels: , ,


13 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

My dear, I don't think any Jewish person out there would be offended by your feeling of kinship with them.

Yippeeeee!!! I'm so glad you found food you can all eat. Stock up as much as your house can hold.

I'm particularly happy that they have that kosher butcher, how wonderful for you to be able to get meat year-round.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

There must be some places that sell Kosher products year round. It's great that you found things you can all eat.

I am a priest, and I have friends who are rabbis and we have had great conversations about what our faiths share, and where they differ. I don't think most people would be offended unless one was proselytizing.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm another Jew who isn't offended by your post. We share the same monotheistic roots.

Have you seen the children's book "In God's Name"? It's a lovely book about how everyone calls God by a different name, and when they all stop arguing and accept that all of those names are God, God hears them. The authors are Jewish, but it has inter-faith stamp of approval all over it :-)

And I'm very glad you found all that useful food. I grabbed a bag of potato stix the other day, too. Yummy.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too - another Jewish person not offended by your thoughts at all.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is that even when made year round corn is fine in a kosher diet except at Passover.

Kosher for Passover is much stricter. (Not Jewish, but have lived amongst large Jewish communities many years.)

Pax,

MLO

10:44 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad people aren't offended.

Liz, our house has lots of storage so it's more a matter of budgeting. I'm trying to figure out how much margarine we might use in a year now that I've found some that seems safe for us, finally.

Rev Dr. Mom, there are a few Kosher products available year-round here, but for most of the year they often contain a lot of corn and our other problem foods, as MLO (a fellow corn avoider) mentioned.

It's only during Passover that kitinyot is not eaten, and even that depends on the sect--Yeminite and Sefardic Jews can eat kitinyot on passover, while Chasidic Jews and those with European ancestry do not. I'm not sure, but I believe most of the companies that manufacture K for P items make them in only a short run that one time each year.

Madeleine, I haven't seen that book, but the illustrations are gorgeous on the Amazon site.

Thanks, Genevieve.

MLO, exactly.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Jenny F. Scientist said...

P_K, it's nice to see someone actually enjoying Pesach food!

You probably know this, but during and right after Pesach, whatever's left will be very, very cheap. Like a lifetime supply of matzah for $10.

(Also Jewish, and not at all offended! I grew up with a best friend who's a devout Christian, and we definitely felt a kinship from our commitment to faith and prayer.)

9:34 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Jenny F, I wondered about that . . . but I've also been told that a lot of the K for P stuff sells out pretty quickly. The store is already out of a few things and won't be ordering more.

So I thought I'd better get what I really need now, and then if there's still some left to go on sale later, maybe I'll be able to fill the freezer and garage. :)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think here in NYC there are quite a few places that sell these products year round. If you need anything send me descriptions or photos of the products and I'll track it down and ship it out to you!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P_K, this is a list online of KforP medications, i.e. that don't contain kitniyot:

http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/crc2007_MEDICINE.pdf

The KforP lists in general might help you find potentially safe things you hadn't thought of.
See here:
food etc.:
http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/crc2007_product_Guide.pdf

Cosmetics: http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/crc2007_COSMETICS.pdf

alerts for things they thought were kitniyot-free but aren't:
http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/PAlerts/
chametz ingredients in toiletries (you may know most of these already): http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/cosmetics/

"But what could be wrong with . . . ":
http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/butwhat/

Here's an online KforP store - maybe you can get things there cheaply after the holiday is over, even if your local store has sold out.
https://www.aviglatt.com/Products.asp?intCatalogID=75&AT=34

3:19 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Kai, thank you . . . that's very sweet of you. I have found a place to order some things, but if there's something I can't find I'll keep you in mind.

Genevieve, that's tremendously helpful. Thank you so much!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you only the best with the Kosher for Passover foods. We loved picking them up yearly, too. It didn't take us long to discover they were the cause of our difficulties, though. After a couple years of happily stocking up on the cake mixes and such, I had to stop. We were obviously reacting to them.

Last year, I was visiting my Jewish friend who had the supermarket with all the wonderful K for P foods and I looked them over thinking maybe, just maybe we could try them again, when I saw a new warning label that said the food was to be "considered grain-free for passover purposes, not for allergy purposes." :-(

Love your blog, btw. Just found it this weekend. Your story is so much like mine, what with docs who refuse to believe there's anything wrong with you child(ren). We had to figure it out for ourselves.

1:28 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, anonymous. What allergies are you dealing with? There's a lot of wheat, sulfites, MSG and potatoes in KFP foods, and actually quite a few dyes and artificial flavors/colors in some of it, I noticed.

I was thinking that Baby E might be reacting to some of the additives because of the chemicals themselves or the way they are made (for instance, I thought that citric acid grown via fermentation processes might be an issue because of yeast/mold allergies no matter what the growth medium is). But she seems to be fine with these so far.

How reliably corn- and other kitiniot-free the KforP products are depends a lot on the certifying agency. I've been doing a lot of reading about the standards the Orthodox Union uses in certifying things OU-P, and I do trust them. Some other things can be marked kosher for passover when they really aren't totally free of those things.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home