Monday, March 05, 2007

Zantac-Zyrtec

I misspoke in my last post. It was Zantac, her reflux medication, that Baby E was taking when the allergy testing was done. Not Zyrtec, the allergy medation that is an antihistamine.

The only allergy medicine we have in the house that Baby E can take is the compounded Benadryl, and we avoided that for at least 5 days before the apopointment as we were instructed.

However, I just found out that Zantac is actually an antihistamine too. We did tell the allergist that she was taking Zantac twice a day when she was tested, and he didn't say anything about it being an antihistamine.

I'm going to have to call and ask about that today.

Labels:


3 Comments:

Blogger chaoticfamily said...

My gal was on zantac for quite some time - it didn't help any!

That's great that you had a scope done. How old was baby E? For us they wanted to wait until she was over a year and well she is 19 months and we are still waiting... Ahhhh... I think that they will check both the upper and lower GI as she has many issues on both ends. :( They are still feeling she should grow out of her trouble although I am more hesitant in that area.

Thanks for your response - hope you don't mind I still check out your blog - it's very comforting to see someone else going through the trial and error process at the same time! I did send you an invite to my blog so feel free to check it out - you never know if it will help your situation!

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zantac, Axid, and Cimetidine are all H2 inhibitors. The antihistamines the allergist would be worried about are H1 inhibitors, but considering that the recommended therapy for rashes (skin reactions?) is a combination of H1 and H2 inhibitors until it clears up, it makes me wonder about skin test results.

Pax,

MLO

12:29 PM  
Blogger my4kids said...

I didn't know that zantac was an antihistimine either. Kenzie takes both zantac all the time 75 mg 2 x a day and zyrtec in the spring and summer months and when needed when she is having an obvious reaction to something. She also uses an inhaler and miralax. Having kids on multiple rx's sure makes thing confusing.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home