Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Independence Day 2011

I've felt better the last few days than I've felt in weeks (maybe months). Had a fabulous, memorable day with the girls today. I'm praying that I didn't overdo it too much and won't end up in Post Exertional Malaise tomorrow.

Meanwhile, DH is absolutely miserable with the flu (respiratory/aches/fever version). Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon!

    Here's what the girls and I did today:

  • We rested and took care of DH (the girls love playing nurse); cleaned up the kitchen and took care of the animals; did laundry (Ebee asked me to teach her how to wash her own load, and M&M folded and put away a load of towels along with my running a couple of loads today);

  • Went shopping for fireworks (I gave the kids a $20 budget and picked out one other thing myself) and marked-down 4th-of-July outfits ($2.50 total for each top/shorts set at half off the clearance price);

  • Had yummy spaghetti squash with meat sauce, fresh green beans and watermelon;

  • Discussed (and used the globe to visualize) how the tilt of the earth in conjunction with its rotation around the sun affects the length of days in summer vs. winter, and why it wouldn't get dark early today in honor of the 4th of July to make the fireworks visible earlier;

  • Set off our fireworks; hooted and hollered and cheered; shared our sparklers with the neighbors;

  • Walked up to the top of the hill and sat under the water tower to watch fireworks going off for miles around; sang the national anthem and talked about the story of its writing;

  • Made a vinegar pie with a recipe from an audiobook we're listening to (The Wonder of Charlie Ann, set in the depression era) and ate it (it was delicious!).


The girls said it was "the best day ever." I was so happy to be well enough to really engage and enjoy the day with them, and not have to spend most of the day in bed and/or walking around in a fog of pain and fatigue fighting an uphill battle just to function and keep everyone fed and basic needs cared for.

It was a day full of the types of moments I wish I could bottle up and keep forever. May there be many more of these kinds of days in our future!

Labels: ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Sounds terrific!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Amen! What a great time. Be well, DH!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Hermana Linda said...

I'm glad you had a good day!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home