Friday, May 20, 2005

The desecration of Beethoven

MysteryMommy mentioned that her child loves this new CD series, Beethoven's Wig and Beethoven's Wig 2. They're "Sing-Along Symphonies"--famous classical pieces put into words. Very silly words.

It's a terrible desecration, but kind of fun. For instance, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart becomes Please Don't Play Your Violin at Night. "Wolfgang, I'm still not sleeping. Please stop the music . . . Night music must stop. (man) Night music is inspiring. (woman) Night music is too tiring! (man) The melody is soaring. (woman) And I wish I was snoring . . . "

Pizzicato from Sylvia by Delibes is now called Drip, Drip, Drip: "Oh Sylvia, the situation's such a pain. The water keeps on dripping and the problem here is very plain. The drops won't all fit down the drain. The house is getting irrigated, Sylvia. And I am getting irritated, Sylvia."

Fur Elise by Beethoven as Just For Elise: "It was all right. To her delight, Elise can play her piece all night. And if you hear Beethoven's piece played by your nephew or your niece, nephew or niece, perform this piece . . . "

La donna e mobile by Rigoletto, Verdi is Sing Verdi Very Loud: "Sing Verdi very loud. La-la-la. Louder! La-la-la. Louder!"

Wedding March, from A Midsummer Night’s Dream, by Mendelssohn becomes Wow What a Wedding Cake: "Look at the bride, she is aglow. Look at the groom ready to go. Where is the real star of the show? Wow, what a wedding cake, it stands over six stories high! It took a year to bake, nine months for the icing to dry."

It's kind of fun to listen to as a novelty, but I think I would find it irritating after a while. I don't think I'd want my kids to grow up listening to it. I wouldn't want to sentence them to a life of never being able to hear those great classical pieces without these corny words and imagery in their heads. I don't want to deprive them of the great joy of creating pictures in their own minds to let the music tell a unique story just for them. I don't want to rob them of being able to hear the songs with the message and intent the composers intended.

But my kids like it. When the samples from Amazon.com ended, A said, "Mommy, let your computer sing! Don't stop it."

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

It is kind of a desecration, but I'll never forget where and when Brahms was born. "'Give me one clue" "He was born in Germany" "What year? Thank you" "class?" "Eighteen-hundred-thirty-three"

And anything's better than listening to Apples and Bananas for the 70,000th time.

12:10 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, that's for sure. Around here it's the alphabet song and One, Two, Buckle My Shoe--over and over and over and . . .

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home