Thursday, June 02, 2005

Emergency Room

M (who will be 3 in a few weeks) subluxated (partially dislocated) her elbow last night. We didn't find out until a couple of hours after it happened because the babysitter knew the arm wasn't broken and didn't want to interrupt our group meeting, so by the time we spent several hours in the ER and got home, it was after 2 a.m.

She's still in quite a lot of pain, poor kid. I think I'll try to get a sling for her and see if that helps.

I think it's worse seeing your child hurt than being injured yourself.

[UPDATE:]
M is feeling a lot better tonight, which actually makes my life a bit more difficult because she wants to run around, jump and play.

We're supposed to be keeping her from using the arm for a couple of days, and then being very careful with it for at least two weeks. Try doing that with an energetic toddler.

I'm glad she's feeling better, but I really wish she wouldn't feel a need to turn summersaults and take flying leaps off the furniture.

I'm spending pretty much every moment trying to keep her occupied and calm now because she's bouncing off the walls after a day of being subdued. So don't expect to see much blogging from me for a day or two. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yowtch! Did you slap the babysitter upside the head and say "Of course you should interrupt us for this!"

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya. A couple weeks ago my almost 4-year-old ran smack into a doorknob and gave herself a golball-sized goose egg on her forehead. After the swelling went down (and Daddy made sure she didn't have a concussion), she was running around like normal but I was still an emotional wreck! Best wishes your daughter will feel better soon.

1:28 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Yes, I will most certainly be having a talk with the babysitter to let her know that any time one of the kids is still crying about an injury or not using a limb within 15 minutes or so tops, she needs to let us know right away--no matter what she might be interrupting.

9:38 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks, both of you for the comments and sympathy.

I think I've had my worry and adrenaline rush for at least a week, and I most certainly don't want to see the inside of the hospital or emergency room again until I'm there for labor and delivery when this baby comes!

9:43 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I think it's worse seeing your child hurt than being injured yourself.

Oh, yes. Way worse.

But at least it is something that will heal. Hope it heals fast.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Oh! poor little girl. Hope she feels better soon.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Hope she is feeling better soon! I think it's amazing that kids don't get injured like this more often. The opportunities for injury just seem endless.

5:37 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much, everyone. She seems to be back to normal now, although we're still supposed to be very careful that her arm doesn't get pulled on. Now, if the rest of life would just settle down . . .

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home