Monday, June 13, 2005

Smiles

I'm enjoying the ages my girls are at so much, but it's slightly bittersweet. They're getting so independent! At 2 (almost 3) and just turned 4, they are learning to do so much by themselves.

A few weeks ago I got up and went downstairs and they had gotten themselves dressed, gotten out bowls, spoons and cheerios and were sitting at their little table eating breakfast and chatting happily. I almost started crying because "my babies don't need me any more." Silly me.

It amazes me every day when they can get themselves a glass of water, take themselves potty and wash their hands by themselves. They can set the table and help load the dishwasher, and they're still young enough that they love doing it.

The other day I asked them to wash their hands and set the table for dinner. Their response was, "Oh, great! Let's set the table!" as they came running. I'm enjoying that while the novelty lasts. :)

Nearly every day, at some point during the day I find myself amazed and overwhelmed by something they do. Every day something makes me smile. Usually I think about writing it down, but then don't get it written before I forget the details. So here are a few of the recent smiles.



The girls got used to sharing a bed while we were at the coast, and so the last couple of nights they've continued that. They just enjoy being near each other--they're sleeping with their heads at opposite ends of the twin bed. :) I'm glad they're good friends.

Last night when I tucked them in they both gave me a hug and a kiss and then a nose rub, and then they both wanted to tell me a secret. They love secrets. They make me lean my head close, softly whisper "I love you" in one ear and "God loves you" in the other ear, and follow it up with a big hug and a grin.

I am laughing out loud at the moment. Just as I was writing this, A came in to ask a question after having been put to bed. Daddy answered it and then told her to get back into bed. She went skipping out of the room with the words, "I shall indeed!"

The things they say can be so funny. Sometimes we can't figure out where they heard things and sometimes we recognize them as coming from ourselves, a book we've read or a video we've seen.

We had to ban Charlotte's Web for a while because it's rather awkward to have a 2-year-old suddenly lie on the floor in the middle of a room full of people and holler with great feeling and drama, "I don't want to die!"

A few things they've been saying recently:

"I love you just the way you are---even when you're grumpy."

"I love you, Little Mother."

"Most certainly!"

"Oh, how marvelous and wonderful!"

"Everybody is one of my favorite people."

"God made everything. But Mommy made my special blanket."

"God, what are you doing right now?" [pause] "He said he's busy making lots of babies to give to all the mommies and daddies."

[Response to being asked how she is:] "I'm doing well, thank you."

"I'm four years old. How old are you? Are you a dult? Do you have a baby growing in your tummy? My Mommy has a baby growing in her tummy, right there, see? You can feel it kicking. It's our sister baby, and her name is E-----. She's going to come out soon."

"I'm growing up to be an adult."

A: "When I grow up, I'm going to be first a mommy and then a grandma."

M: "When I grow up, I'm gonna be a daddy and a grandpa."

"Some days I feel rhyme-y, and I love to sing."

[A line from one of the many songs A makes up:]"I love the trees, the trees, the beautiful trees. They wave to me with their little green leaves."

"Daddy, you can't be sleepy now . . . you have to drive the car. You can't drive and sleep at the same time! You have to wait until we get home before you go to sleep. Then I will kiss you goodnight and sing you a beautiful lullaby so you can go to sleep. Okay?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

That is just too adorable for words! i love the mentality of children. I often wonder what goes through their heads, like when they are very young and can only make noises rather than words, THEY know what they're talking about, and it makes perfect sense, but to us...its just a load of garble. I love it!

My sister and I (she's 4 years older than me) were - and still are - great friends growing up. I remember playing 'pretend' for hours and hours in her bedroom. Oh to be that young again!

take care
Rach

3:00 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

You're so right . . . to me, the best thing about the kids being so verbal is being able to understand what's going through their heads. :)

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny the things they say? My daughter and I had the following conversation shortly after my son was born, making her not quite 2 1/2:

"Mama, what's for lunch?"

"Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches."

Pointing at the jelly jar, "What kind?"

"Boysenberry,"

Instantaneously, "No I want girls 'n' grape!"

I was just so blown away at how quick her little mind was, and also laughed out loud at how cute that was!

3:14 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

That's darling, and hilarious! I'm going to repost it as its own post so everyone can see it.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home