Monday, July 11, 2005

By the book

The girls got into an argument this afternoon about the dollhouse. Both wanted to play with it and didn't want to share.

So I decided to try a technique I was reading about in "The Toddler Years" last night. I sat down with them and said, "Okay, we have a problem here. Both of you want to play with the dollhouse. I'll bet you two can think of a way for both of you to play with it at the same time--you're smart."

M says, "No, we're not."

A starts crying. "I'm smart!" Sob, sob.

I laugh, "You're both smart!"

However, unlike the examples given in the book, my kids had a hard time coming up with any workable solutions. Their ideas included M's suggestion that she read books while A refrain from touching the dollhouse, and A's suggestion that we all change into different clothes. So finally I stepped in and showed them how they could open the dollhouse wide and both sit next to it and play together.

M quickly lost interest and decided she wanted to go downstairs and have me draw dogs and cats for her to color instead of cooking dinner. ;-)

How come this sort of thing never works quite like it does in the books when I try it? LOL

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Because the books only show the examples where it worked after 50 times of trying.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because Moms really are smarter than the books and know their own kids and how they respond. The books authors only know their own kids and how they respond or sometimes have no kids at all.
My guess is you could play that situation with any number of kids and get totally different reactions from everyone of them.
Plus, kids are smart and if they don't want to share at that given moment why would they want to come up with a reasonable way to handle it on their own, when they won't like the outcome?

12:21 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, good points, both of you. :)

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home