Saturday, September 10, 2005

Call me Crazy

CCW asked me a very relevant question the other day:

"Are you truly crazy or just exhausted? That's an important distinction since exhaustion does eventually lessen, but crazy could last a lifetime."

I'm starting to wonder.


On Sunday I went upstairs after the service to feed the baby. I must have been dozing off because I was really disoriented when I came back downstairs. I was walking through the nearly empty church lobby and thought, "Wow, that woman looks like S---- who goes to our church. But I'm not sure it's really her." So I walked up to her and said, "Hi, how are you? Remind me of your name?" Sure enough, it was S---.

I then proceeded to make conversation this way: "Yeah, I know you. You used to go to my church. That's where I know you from, isn't it?"

DH and S--- looked at me with a mixture of disbelief, humor and--was it fear? "Um, we're at church."

Oh. Yeah.

I searched for something to say. "That's what sleep deprivation will do to you, I guess."

DH teased me about it all the way home: "Boy, there sure are a lot of people from church here in this mall. Why look, there's the pastor! Wow, what an amazing coincidence!"

I invited about 15 women over tonight to hang out and play games, watch a movie, eat snacks or whatever. I'm expecting between 3 and 10 to actually come.

DH and most of the other men in our church are gone for the weekend (men's retreat), so it seemed like a fun thing to do with the women while the men are away.

Except that my house is still in a state of postpartum depression. Clutter abounds and everything needs to be done from mopping and vaccuuming to cleaning the bathrooms and doing the dishes. I thought I was going to get a bunch of that done last night, but the kids were in fine form again with DH gone. The baby screamed until about midnight, while the older girls took a year and a day to get ready for bed.

We need to go to the grocery store, too, as we're out of several essentials. It will be my first grocery shopping expediton with all three kids. It should be fine, but I'm expecting it to go slowly.

It's almost noon and I haven't even showered yet (no, I can't skip that today). The baby has been really fussy for the past hour or so after being in a good mood earlier in the morning. I think she's fighting a much-needed nap. I keep feeding her in hopes that will do the trick, but she just seems to be getting sloshy in the tummy instead of sleepy.

Am I crazy? I guess we'll find out tonight.

I think the evening should be fun. I guess whatever doesn't get done before 7 . . . just won't get done.

6 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

That is so funny! Your husband is a riot.

Please, let us know how it goes. It sounds like lots of fun. I'm hoping you are not crazy, since your ability to manage helped me feel that I could manage a 3rd child.

1:21 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Well, CCW, crazy doesn't have to be a bad thing. :)We can both be crazy together. The more the merrier!

1:51 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

Very true! If I have to be crazy, at least I will be in good company.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

ccw's comment cracked me up when I read it. Nice follow up. :)

9:33 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, glad you enjoyed it, Kevin. I thought CCW's comment was hilarious and knew right away that I had to figure out how to use it in another post. :)

1:13 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Your husband is a trip. Really funny guy! I don't think you are crazy--I would definitely say sleep deprivation is the culprit.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home