Friday, September 09, 2005

Crocheted Baby Sweaters and Afghans



I did manage to get to the county fairgrounds as planned the afternoon I went into labor, the day before the fair opened. I didn't get to attend the fair, but five of my crocheted items did--two baby afghans and three infant sweaters. To my amazement, when DH picked them up for me after the fair was over I had won not one, but five blue ribbons! The judges made very nice comments about my work too.

Now I'm listing the items for sale.

All of these items are made in soft, washable acrylic yarn. The photos aren't nearly as good as seeing (and feeling!) them in person, but they'll have to do. Keep in mind that they are meant to be on a bed or hanging over a chair, etc. (i.e. being used!) so they don't look quite right lying flat. :)

The first afghan is something special. It's really more of a wall hanging, but could be used either way. I designed it for a display at church. The idea was to create a piece of art to illustrate a favorite Scripture passage. In the display I hung it against a dark green backdrop to show the pattern of the stitches better.

I drew inspiration from several different published crochet patterns, but it is a unique original design. It is a little more pastel and muted than it appears in these pictures (the floral heart at the top of this post is from the same yarn). I had a hard time getting the brightness and contrast balanced so it showed both the color and the pattern of the stitches well.



"Covered With His Love"
Crochet Afghan
Original design by Angela (PurpleKangaroo)
Approximately 28" x 37"
$65 plus shipping

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3:17b-19





Daisies For Baby
Afghan approximately 29" x 42"
$60 plus shipping






More pictures of Daisies for Baby afghan here.

Cream-colored Heirloom Baby Sweater

Size 3-6 months or 6-9 months (sweaters fit a larger variety of sizes than many other garments)
$30 plus shipping





Approximate measurements across garment lying flat & unstretched:
Chest 10/5"
Length 10.5"
Sleeves 5.5" (cuff to cuff across shoulders, 21")

Blue Hooded Infant Sweater
Size preemie or newborn
$25 plus shipping







Approximate measurements across garment lying flat & unstretched:
Chest 8.5"
Length 7"
Sleeves 4.5" (cuff to cuff across shoulders, 17")

Sailboat Pullover Baby Sweater

Size 0-3 months. Fits an Adora doll with sleeves rolled up. Sleeves can be rolled down to make them about 2" longer





Approximate measurements across garment lying flat & unstretched:
Chest 9"
Length 8"
Sleeves 6" (cuff to cuff across shoulders, 21.5")--I have the ends folded into cuffs on each sleeve, making the measurements 4.5" and 18"

I have the doll for sale with the sweater on eBay, but if it doesn't sell I will sell the sweater separately for $25 plus shipping. If the eBay auction does sell I could make another sweater like this to order (and to your measurements), but it would cost $35 plus shipping for a size 0-6 month sweater. The appliques were a lot of work to do properly. I do have the pattern for matching pants as well, and could make a hat and booties if desired.

The sweaters should ship first class, so will probably cost $2-3 to mail. The afghans should ship at the 1-lb. Priority Mail rate, which would put them around $6 each to ship in the USA. Outside USA will be a bit more. I will, of course, combine shipping to save on postage for multiple items going to the same address.

Here's a close-up of the afghan I just finished for BIL and SIL's new baby girl due in November (yes, that BIL and SIL).



And here's a baby sweater I'm making as a gift for someone. It's a yummy wool-blend boucle'--it's the first time I've worked with this type of yarn. It's challenging, but the finished product is marvelous--wolly and nubbly like a sherpa or something. I'm going to make a hat with ears to go with this sweater.



Finally, here are previews of the next couple of afghans I'm working on. They are smaller--more of a receiving blanket size.

This one will have a white scalloped trim:



And the second one is another Daisies For Baby afghan in the same colors, but in a smaller gauge so both the flower motifs and the overall afghan are smaller.

I really enjoy crocheting. For me, it's not only a creative outlet, but also relaxing and theraputic. With no pets in the house, running my fingers through soft yarn is the closest substitite for petting something furry. :)

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

These are so pretty! I wish I knew how to make such beautiful things. You certainly deserved every blue ribbon that you won.

I love that sailboat sweater. I just might need one of these for future baby next winter.

If you ever want to run your fingers through live furry things, we have plenty of animals at our house.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

They are so beautiful. You are an artist and you deserve those ribbons.

The knitting and crocheting skipped a generation in my home. My mom used to have her own side business making custom sweaters for people. Her designs were gorgeous.

I think you really can make some work for yourself too with your talent.

7:12 AM  
Blogger KLee said...

How beautiful! I really think you've done a great job! I can't crochet or knit to save my life, and I think it's kind of magical, in a way, when I see it done well.

Cross-stitching and hardanger are ways that I relax and unwind. I like keeping my hands moving, but I also like having a finished project at the end of it all.

11:51 AM  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

gorgeous work!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home