Saturday, November 19, 2005

Brown Rice and Catching Up

A friend taught me a new (to me) method of cooking brown rice, and I feel like I've discovered a whole new food. I tried it last night, and the rice was so much softer and fluffier than the way I usually make it. My family ate it without complaint and even asked for seconds. Usually they (the kids at least) complain and ask for white rice.

Here's the trick:

Before cooking the rice, heat some butter and/or oil (I used a mixture) in the pan and fry the dry rice and some seasonings until it's nicely toasted and a little brown. I used some thyme and basil and a little salt for extra flavor. Then add your water (2 parts water to 1 part rice) and bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Fluff and serve.

We also had chicken thighs, which I simmered in some broth on the stovetop until they were so tender they were falling apart. We spooned the chicken and broth over the rice, added some veggies on the side, and it was delicious.

After a couple of bland but substantial meals, I'm finally feeling almost back to normal. I'm so far behind on e-mails, housework and just about everything else. MM's illness was milder and lasted only a day or two (she got sick before I did), and nobody else seems to have gotten it. I'm so glad about that.

Today I'm trying to catch up on housework and get ready for the holidays. We're having company for several days, starting the day after Thanksgiving, so we're getting ready for that as well as Thanksgiving itself.

We have much to be thankful for this year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Ah, thank you! I will have to try that this week.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

That sounds yummy!

3:03 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

PS and WW, you'll have to let me know how you like it. :)

It is yummy, Amy!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I love brown rice. Neat tip.

1:27 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I like brown rice better than white, too. More flavor and nurtitional value. :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

This sounds like the instructions for making Rice a Roni. It's been like 11 or 12 years since I've made it (my single days, lol!), but it's definitely ringing a bell. Good tip! My kids didn't like brown rice the last time I made it. I'm going to try it this way and see if they like it. Thanks!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home