Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006

Happy New Year, everyone! We didn't end up going to bed early tonight. Baby E is still up, so we are too. :)

We've had a nice, quiet evening here. We all watched Racing Stripes before the girls went to bed, then DH and I watched It's a Wonderful Life while he ate ice cream and I had Weetabix with butter and maple syrup. Racing Stripes was a moderately cute, but not highly memorable film about a zebra who wanted to be a racehorse. It's a Wonderful Life, on the other hand--well, what can I say, it's one of those great movies you want to watch at least once a year.

DH and I just finished playing online Settlers of Catan (against each other and two robots) while I fed Baby E. Now she's asleep for the night and we're going to bed soon too.

We're all feeling better, I think, but still very tired. It was nice to have a quiet evening at home with just our family. I thought I would miss the traditional game night New Year's Eve party, but I didn't. I was just glad I didn't have to put out the energy to socialize tonight.

It's nice to have a few quiet moments to reflect.

#####################


My sister-in-law's brother got married tonight. I hope they had a beautiful wedding that will be the beginning of a very happy and healthy marriage.

This past year has been mixed; very difficult and very good at different times--sometimes both at the same time. This week I think I'll post links to some of my favorite and some of the most memorable blog posts from the past year. Nominations are welcome. :)

In a way, it seemed to me that the new year started in November. In the middle of November last year was the week our nephew William died and I became pregnant with Baby E. That has seemed to me a turning point in my life, in many ways. I feel that I entered a new season of life at that point, and November was an especially poignant time for me this year as well.

William's little sister G.E. (actually, her middle name is the same as E's first name--we both picked the same name for the two girls for pretty much the same reasons) was born 5 weeks ago tomorrow. She is perfect and beautiful. I've never seen such long, silky hair on a baby. I think she's going to have blue eyes--a first in their little family.

My sister Amy posted today about something I haven't felt free to share because it is her story, not mine. But her journey this past year and a half has been difficult for all of us walking alongside her. I'm so glad she's emerging from her own long, dark tunnel.

My other sister J (Sis) is fulfilling a dream by going back to school. I'm so happy for her, too.

My parents are staying busy and well. We're still grateful for the new life given to my mother almost 5 years ago with the miracle of a kidney transplant. This year we will get to carry out a dream of my dad's, with a family reunion in Mexico where my dad and his siblings grew up. We're looking forward to that immensely.

DH has seen good things happen in his job and we have continued to become more involved in our church over the past year. The girls are growing up and learning so much, and we added the precious gift of Baby E to our family.

At the moment, my wish for the coming year is this: that we would grow in our relationships with God and each other, and continue cultivating richer and deeper relationships both within our own family, with extended family, and with other friends and loved ones. That we would continue to grow both individually and in our relationships, as well as in our spiritual lives. And that we would make the truly important things in life our highest priority.

Happy New Year. May it be everything it should be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Happy New Year!! Peace and love for the New Year

5:22 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Have a blessed New Year. May your family have love and happiness, health and strength!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Beautiful wish for the new year. I second it, wholeheartedly.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Happy New Year! I love you, sister/friend!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home