Friday, December 30, 2005

I need some baby sleeping pills

Yes, it's after 4 a.m. and I'm writing a blog post. Baby E has decided that sleep is old-school and she no longer needs it.

Everyone else in the family (including DH) was in bed by 8 and I started trying to get E to go to sleep shortly after. By 9 nobody except DH was asleep, but I laid Baby E down next to DH, turned on lullaby music for her and sent the older kids back to bed. At 10 the older kids were finally asleep, and I laid down with Baby E to try to convince her to sleep.

Sometime after 11 I finally turned her over onto her tummy and dozed off fitfully while she was still playing in her crib next to me, waking up some 20 minutes later to turn her over after she went to sleep, waking her in the process. I think we finally both went to sleep around midnight--after 4 hours of trying to get her to go to sleep (including lots of nursing).

I fed her twice between midnight and 3 a.m., at which time she woke up and decided it was time to get up and play. I've tried everything--music, feeding, diaper change, laying her on her back, switching to her tummy, lying down with her, letting her cry alone in the room, ad infinitum. Now she's sitting in my lap wide awake and happy to be out of bed. I'm not sure whether to lay her down and let her cry some more or get up and do something productive.

One thing's for sure--I'm waking her up no later than 8:30 in the morning and will do my best not to let her nap in the late afternoon. Enough is enough.

BTW, MM has been up twice since she went to sleep, too.

******UPDATE********

I laid Baby E in her bed and let her listen to a lullaby CD and play by herself in the dark. It's times like this I wish she didn't sleep in our room, because she was not crying, but making just enough noise to keep me awake.

So I had a snack, rebooted the laundry, folded and put away a load and started another load.

Now, at nearly 5 a.m., she's finally gone back to sleep.

Does anyone know where I can buy some of that sleep dust the sandman is supposed to bring?

***5:35 a.m. update***

Now that Baby E is asleep, I'm wide awake. So I'm running some hot water. A bath sounds heavenly and will hopefully induce sleep.

***5:51*** Baby E is up again.

***Further update here.***

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... such cute kids!!!! I love the 3 & 4 year olds' outfits too! Adorable! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yowtch!

Can you move her into her own room?

6:27 AM  
Blogger ccw said...

No, no, no... You are supposed to be posting about how much sleep you are getting and how it is all rainbows and sunshine with 3 kids.

Hope you get some sleep soon! Is there any other room she could sleep in so that you could rest?

7:11 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

And we found that having a humidifier or white noise machine next to our bed worked quite well to mask little happy noises when Muffin Man's crib was on the other side of the room.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh sweetie, that is very rough. I hope you get a break soon. Sounds to me like you have earned it big time.

8:49 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I got tired just reading this post. I can remember those kind of nights ....

10:09 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, everyone. I replied to some of your thoughts in he new post linked in the last update.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor you :(

it too will pass

I don't advise moving to another room, I think cutting down on naps or lie in s might help. That's hard when you are exhausted I know

anyway I have a quick question. why purple kangaroo. At first I thought you must be from down under .... but ... :) do tell!

4:18 AM  

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home