Thursday, January 12, 2006

Just because it's time for some pictures:




I planned to take my camera to the zoo today, but forgot. So I had to take some photos after we got home--messy hair, damp clothes and all. :)

I'm tired and sore after a long day and can hardly wait to get into the hot bath that's running right now, so catching up on e-mails and comments will have to wait.

Procrastination: it's not just a habit any more; it's a lifestyle.

More beneath the fold . . .

####################









At dinner tonight, the girls initiated one of their favorite new games . . . "The Opposites Game." They enjoy identifying opposites and rhyming words a lot lately. Since they enjoy that so much, I thought it might be fun just to see if I could take it to a new level. I figured they might not understand it, but I'd just try introducing syllogisms anyway.

"Hey, girls, I have an idea! Let's try a new game. This game is called Syllogisms. Yes, that's how you say it--syllogisms. Now, the way this game works is that I say something like this: Horse is to rider as car is to . . . "

Before I could finish the sentence, MM yelled, "driver!"

I was floored. DH and I made up every syllogism we could think of and the girls solved them as fast as we could say them. They loved it, and they completely understood the concept.

I guess they're ready for at least one section of the SATs.

[Edit:] Um, I just re-read this post and then started thinking about the word syllogism. Now I feel really stupid.

Obviously, what we were doing tonight was making analogies, not syllogisms. There is a syllogism of analogy (usually considered a fallacy), but syllogism, analogy: not the same thing.

Tomorrow we'll do syllogisms.

Major premise: Mommy is prone to mistakes when she is tired.

Minor premise: Mommy is tired today.

Conclusion: Mommy is prone to mistakes today.

As evidenced on the blog.

However, analogies are also part of the SATs. Right? Right???



4 Comments:

Blogger Jane Dark said...

Yup, analogies are on the SAT, and on the GRE. No doubt, your girls will ace them.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

SAT aces, for sure!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sparrow said...

Hehe, I didn't think that was quite the right word. ;-) But wow! That's amazing...I probably couldn't even do it that fast.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Neat! And very impressive. Adorable pictures. :)

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home