Thursday, February 16, 2006

Makes Me Happy

Valentine's Day evening DH and I didn't do anything to celebrate. Well, we told each other "Happy Valentine's Day" and cleaned out the baby's room together.

We had already gone out to dinner and pool/darts on Saturday night for our big celebration. Hey, a Sheri's chicken sandwich and a game of pool is pretty romantic when it's only your second time out alone together in 6 months.

DH stopped at the store on the way home Tuesday night, and he managed to find a Lindt chocolate bar with no dairy and no soy in it.

Tentatively, I tried a very small piece that night. Wow, it was rich. 85% dark chocolate, after many months of no chocolate at all. Silky smooth, dark, and flavorful. Almost bitter, but so satisfying. Even if that small piece was all I'd get to eat, I felt it could carry me through a few more months.

But it didn't seem to bother Baby E. So the next day, I ate more. Still no reaction from Baby E. I don't know if she grew out of being bothered by it, as she seems to have done with decaf coffee, or if it was soy in the chocolate I was eating that was bothering her.

I don't regret the nearly 5 months without chocolate. (4 months, 2 weeks and 5 days, to be exact--Sept 23rd to Feb. 14th) It was a good exercise for me, and I'm sure Baby E and I are probably both healthier for it. But I'm glad the long months are over. And having chocolate again for the first time as a gift from DH on Valentine's Day was rather fitting.

I can eat chocolate again. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Chocolate. makes. me. happy.

Sleep also makes me happy.

###################################

Baby E woke up many times during the first part of the night Tuesday, but went back to sleep without nursing. She went from 12:30 a.m. to 5 a.m. between feedings, then didn't wake up again until 7.

Yesterday, I watched her like a hawk all day and laid her down at the first sign of sleepiness. She sleeps so much better when she's not overtired. She had three naps, and then was asleep for the night by 9, waking briefly but not eating at 10. She woke up 2 or 3 times during the night and was awake for almost an hour at one point, but since I'd gone to bed at 10 it was manageable. I'm starting to feel almost human again.

I think I'm going to stay home as much as possible for the next week or two and focus on getting Baby E into a good napping/sleeping pattern. Both the naps and the nighttime sleep have to be in place for her to do well. That saying "sleep begets sleep" really seems to be true for her.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sparrow said...

So fun you can have chocolate again!! Chocolate actually bothers my stomach a little, but I haven't cut it out. ;-) It's my fix for everything from the blues to headaches! LOL

1:46 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm so glad that chocolate is part of your diet again! I had to do without for the first six months while LG was a baby (like his father, he's intensely sensitive to caffeine). That first chocolate after the drought -- nothing ever tasted so good!

5:59 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

Yeah for chocolate and for feeling human!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Hooray for the return of chocolate!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know chocolate improves my disposition. Its my medicine for everything! I'm pretty sure God was thinking of me when He created chocolate!
(You don't know me, but I met Amy at BRR!)

6:36 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Hi, Kaylee! Welcome to my blog.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Rock-a-bye Baby said...

Good luck getting Baby E to sleep through the night. My baby (Mr. Gregory) is almost 20 months old and he still wakes me up at least four times a night. If you figure out a way to get yours to sleep, let me know. I would sure appreciate it!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home