Thursday, June 15, 2006

Battle Plans

I'm excited this morning. I was in bed by 10:35 last night and settling down to go to sleep 10 minutes later. Baby E woke up a lot, but still I got more sleep than I normally do.

Our plan is starting to go into action. We've done better with bedtime and naps the past few days, and today I'm ready to hit the full-fledged schedule we laid out and try to stick to the plan.

##############

I've had a few recommendations that I get my thyroid function checked. I had a complete blood workup about 6 months ago, but I'll probably get one done again. I thought of the thyroid issue, especially since my mom has a thyroid imbalance, but every time I've had it checked (even when I was having trouble maintaining my weight in the past) it's been normal.

First, though, I'm going to work on my battle plan for a couple of weeks. My perception that I'm eating a lot may or may not be accurate overall, since the amount varies so much from meal to meal.

I found a sample menu for a 2,000 calorie diet on mypyramid.gov and I'm actually thinking I may not be not taking in even 2,000 calories a day. I usually eat more for dinner and less for breakfast, lunch and snacks than the chart shows, so it's hard to tell.

This morning I filled a 2-quart pitcher with water in the refrigerator. I'll get water out of it whenever I drink something, so I can tell how much I'm taking in. So far this morning I've had 24 ounces.

I found a great tool on mypyramid called "my pyramid tracker" that lets you put in everything you eat throughout the day, and it will calculate the calories and nutritional content for you. I'm going to try that to see how much I'm actually eating, and how balanced my diet is.

There's no way to add foods that aren't already in the database, though. Hopefully it will have all the foods I eat in it. It does have the brand of rice milk I use. I'd really like to find something similar that can be a little more customizable, or even something that could track multiple family members at once.

I think I may try to make an appointment with a nutritionist to work up a good plan for the entire family. But first I need to figure out what we're currently doing so we know what changes to make.

4 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

Struggling with weight is so hard. I'm at the other end of the spectrum -- not able to lose weight, and not eating hardly anything.

It feels so frustrating. You feel like you have to give your life over to food -- when to eat, what to eat, preparations...it starts to feel like a hole you'll never get out of.

I'm sorry. Maybe when Baby E weans, you'll be able to put on a bit of weight. A friend once described a nursing child as something akin to a parasite -- they drain all of the good nutirents from you. I'm sending you a big hug, anyway!

11:06 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Thanks so much, Klee. You described it perfectly . . . "you feel like you have to give your life over to food" . . . I figured out that I spent about 4 hours on food prep yesterday. SO annoying!

Hugs to you, too!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try www.fitday.com

6:30 AM  
Blogger parodie said...

I don't want to sound alarmist or conspiracy-theorist-ish, but it bears saying that if you have every symptom of a thyroid problem then do push to see several doctors to be sure that isn't a problem -- even if the tests turn up normal.

I say this because my MIL has a hormone imbalance that went undiagnosed for years precisely because the tests turned up normal hormone levels - it turns out that the problem has something to do with how the body handles the hormones (I guess) and she now has supplements that fix her problems. So if you have an obvious problem, don't hesitate to be as strong an advoate for yourself as you can handle.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home