Saturday, July 01, 2006

Rays of Sunshine

Baby E is still sick with a cough, but it doesn't seem to bother her much. She's standing up on her own quite a bit now, and getting steadier on her feet. She's trying to take a few steps. She's using the potty at least once most days, and today she started saying the word "potty" after using it. She's so proud of herself that she knows how to do that.

She started saying "thank you" today. We were handing a toy back and forth. She'd pull my hand out flat and put the toy in it, and then hold out her hand for it. When I handed it to her she'd say "De du! De du!"

#################

I put her to bed late tonight because I couldn't bear to interrupt the marvelous time we were having together, playing and talking to each other. She kept laughing and hugging me, then kissing me with great sloppy open-mouthed toothy wet grins.

She is trying to repeat everything we say now. When I said, "Hi, Sweetie Pie" to her tonight, she replied, "Hi, Pie!"

I thought I would melt.

The three girls are playing together more and more lately. They wrestle on the floor, crawl in and out of the play tent, and cradle dolls together. They hug and kiss each other and have little conversations. The older girls delight in teaching Baby E things, and she loves her sisters.

Tonight at dinner the three girls were sharing a pear. Baby E would hold out a piece of pear, opening her mouth wide and saying "aah!" and M&M or AJ would let her feed it to them, laughing.

It's days like this that I feel my life is almost too good to be true. DH, laughing as he plays with our girls. He works so hard to take care of us all, and cares so deeply for me and the girls. Sweet, serious AJ, with her love of order, her peacemaking spirit, and her desire to do right and love God and everyone else. Vivacious, intense M&M with her independent spirit, her adoration of her favorite people and her strong sense of justice. And our little EA, who sparkles with joy and exudes charm when anyone meets her eye.

These moments are so tender, so fragile, so fleeting. I wish I could write them all down so they'll never be forgotten.

I wish they'd never end.

4 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

How sweet! I'm just amazed that Baby E is managing to talk already! It seems like she was just born a few months ago! I'm intrigued by your habit of signing with her. How did you start that? Is that something you did with all of the girls? I would love to have some more information, and I might try to use more non-verbal sounds in my classroom in the upcoming year.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Your daughters are so delicious and bright. They take after their mother!

12:03 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Klee, I'll do a post on baby signs soon for you. I'm sure you could use some of the same non-verbal signals with your students.

Thanks, Liz. :)

11:40 PM  
Blogger KLee said...

Thanks! that'll be great, and I'll look forward to it!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Purple Puzzle Place Home